Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Have you ever? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/have-you-ever-t157243.html)

mimicrystal 10-01-2011 01:27 PM

Have you ever gone into a fabric store hoping to match up fabric that you already have started a quilt on, browsed around until you found something that you thought was a pretty good match, then when you get home and look at it again the next day say "oh my goodness, what was I thinking"? That is what I did this week. I started a queen size quilt for my daughter for Christmas last week and needed more fabric for borders, so I thought no problem, I'll just get solid color fabric because I really didn't want to add more color to it. I just wanted solid colors for the borders. When I looked at the fabric at home it was a terrible choice. I don't know what I was thinking when I bought it. I even had several pieces of fabric that I was using to coordinate with. So I went back today and did much better on the fabric. Thank Goodness...

erstan947 10-01-2011 01:29 PM

Some days that's how it goes...I'm happy that today was better for you:)

quilt1950 10-01-2011 01:30 PM

ALL THE TIME!

I find I buy too many prints, and the quilt becomes too busy, so I have to go back for solids, or fabric that reads a solid. I've also found that it's very difficult to match color in the lights of the fabric store. I've learned to carry my choices to a window.

Izaquilter 10-01-2011 01:36 PM

Or I run short, go back to get more & they are sold out, not getting any more of it in stock & the mfg 'ain't making no more". ERRRRR. Just went thru that. Went 2 3 quilt shops Thurs., picked out a pink I thought that would match (had a sample piece with me to make sure the pinks matched up) then when I got it home, it's REALLY not the same color pink at all! <sigh> Oh well, I just guess I'm going to have to go shopping again!!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :XD:

mimicrystal 10-01-2011 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by quilt1950
ALL THE TIME!

I find I buy too many prints, and the quilt becomes too busy, so I have to go back for solids, or fabric that reads a solid. I've also found that it's very difficult to match color in the lights of the fabric store. I've learned to carry my choices to a window.

That's a good idea...I'll get closer to the window...I do that same thing with the print fabrics...I'm always buying prints because they are just so much more attractive to look at...but like you said you can't have too many prints together in one quilt top...or at least for this particular quilt i had all the prints I wanted...

leatheflea 10-01-2011 02:02 PM

Been there! Now I ask the employees for help.

marymm 10-01-2011 02:08 PM

I have found to either take scraps or even the unfinished quilt for me. Every color has so many shades and sometime they look horrible together. Glad you found the right one.

Glassquilt 10-01-2011 02:17 PM

Take 2" sample squares on a safety pin with you. Easy to carry and you can be sure to like the fabrics together.

Lori S 10-01-2011 02:20 PM

One of the LQS near me has terrible lighting. If I do not go to the door or outside to double check my colors , I am in for a not so good surprise when I get home.

blueangel 10-01-2011 02:40 PM

I have bought fabric in the store that I thought it looked like I wanted and when I got it home it wasn't the right color. I think it is the lighting in the store.