Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Have you ever? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/have-you-ever-t157243.html)

mimicrystal 10-01-2011 06:32 PM

I did bring samples of the fabric that I was using and I'm telling you I think I just had a brain lapse. I made a bad choice that day. But today I made a much better one. I guess there's quite a few of us that have done the same thing.

Country1 10-01-2011 06:39 PM

Done the same myself, now I take a piece of the fab with me. I've also packed a queen size quilt with me to match up binding.

Glassquilt 10-01-2011 06:43 PM

It's the light spectrum of the bulb. Many of the big box stores have a display in the paint department with the different bulbs showing how the light effects the color.

I've told the helpful sales lady that no matter what type of wonderful lighting the store has, I need to compare with nature light because that's what I have at home. But thank you for your help.

tsnana2000 10-01-2011 06:45 PM

I've done that. Picked out a backing fabric and binding fabric looked at it a few days later and said Ewwwww. Went back again and finally found some that worked really well.

elliot 10-02-2011 02:50 AM

I was speaking with a quilting instructor Lanette Edens the other day at a quilting expo and she says you always pick the border fabric first then the center fabrics, that way everything will match up. I have always completed the center then looked for border fabric to match. No wonder I can never find just the right one.

KastleKitty 10-02-2011 02:58 AM

The lighting in stores makes fabric appear different than natural lighting or lighting in the home. Sometimes it will look like it matches well in the store, and when you get it somewhere else, it will look horrible. Don't really know what the solution for that one is!

Donna H-M 10-02-2011 03:24 AM

I do that on just about every quilt I make. That's why I have a stash. It's also rare that I get all fabrics in just one store. When I get home I think a different fabric may work better and off I go to a another store. With the last quilt I made I had enough fabrics I didn't use to make another one....lol

tmg 10-02-2011 04:29 AM

I have done the same thing just 3 weeks ago. What was I thinking.

vickig626 10-02-2011 05:21 AM

I've done that but usually happens from a particular store. I later found out that it was the poor lighting in the shop. She moved from a smaller shop to a much bigger store and the lights were very high. Over time ( about 2 years), she's put in a drop ceiling and much better lighting.... big difference.

Glassquilt 10-02-2011 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by elliot
I was speaking with a quilting instructor Lanette Edens the other day at a quilting expo and she says you always pick the border fabric first then the center fabrics, that way everything will match up. I have always completed the center then looked for border fabric to match. No wonder I can never find just the right one.

And if the border is a solid? I buy all my fabric, from different stores, before cutting any of it. I have changed color/fabric placement from original plan on more than one occasion. I am satisfied with what I have when I finally start.