Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Have you ever? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/have-you-ever-t157243.html)

ShirlinAZ 10-02-2011 07:01 AM

Yep. Went to buy binding fabric. Found a peach that looked really good with the samples I took to the store. A little bright but picked up one of the colors in the print. Bought a little more than I needed and took it home. Hung the quilt on the design wall and tucked my binding behind it so 1/2" showed. OMG!! What was I thinking?!! Totally pulled the eyes away from the quilt - and it's a Memory Quilt! Back to the drawing board. Found a dark blue in my stash that worked perfectly.

mimicrystal 10-02-2011 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by Donna H-M
I do that on just about every quilt I make. That's why I have a stash. It's also rare that I get all fabrics in just one store. When I get home I think a different fabric may work better and off I go to a another store. With the last quilt I made I had enough fabrics I didn't use to make another one....lol

Well this isn't the first time I've done this. I really have a much better visual of the colors when I can lay the whole quilt out and lay the fabric in bigger pieces together...See everything together.

Buckeye Rose 10-02-2011 07:12 AM

I always take the project/fabrics that need an additional fabric with me....that way I don't have to trust my memory! :D :D :D

BarbaraSue 10-02-2011 07:12 AM

Yes.
Have gone to the fabric store to purchase a fabric I believe and hope they still have as it is perfect for what I need. Get there and there never ever was such fabric that anyone in the store can recognize by my discriptions and diagrams. Did I just dream it up?!

CAS49OR 10-02-2011 09:39 AM

Most stores will allow you to return fabric unless you've washed it.

Originally Posted by mimicrystal
Have you ever gone into a fabric store hoping to match up fabric that you already have started a quilt on, browsed around until you found something that you thought was a pretty good match, then when you get home and look at it again the next day say "oh my goodness, what was I thinking"? That is what I did this week. I started a queen size quilt for my daughter for Christmas last week and needed more fabric for borders, so I thought no problem, I'll just get solid color fabric because I really didn't want to add more color to it. I just wanted solid colors for the borders. When I looked at the fabric at home it was a terrible choice. I don't know what I was thinking when I bought it. I even had several pieces of fabric that I was using to coordinate with. So I went back today and did much better on the fabric. Thank Goodness...

Drew 10-02-2011 12:42 PM

I need natural light as well to see if fabrics match.

Taughtby Grandma 10-02-2011 12:59 PM

Yeah, it's called stash building. :lol:

mim 10-02-2011 01:15 PM

yep -- I did that last month -- I went back to my Fav LQS to get more and just KNEW what I wanted. wrong !!!! I had to go back the next day with a tiny swatch. I have many times taken my quilt into a shop to find border or backing material. Not only was it better for matching, but I had a lot of input for ideas. Sometimes I got something I hadn't even thought of.
Mim

valerieolm 10-02-2011 02:11 PM

Yep, been there and done that. I know try to take samples of the fabric I need to match with me. I've been known to carry around scraps of fabric in my wallet/checkbook which use to drive my DH crazy.

valerieolm 10-02-2011 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by mim
yep -- I did that last month -- I went back to my Fav LQS to get more and just KNEW what I wanted. wrong !!!! I had to go back the next day with a tiny swatch. I have many times taken my quilt into a shop to find border or backing material. Not only was it better for matching, but I had a lot of input for ideas. Sometimes I got something I hadn't even thought of.
Mim

I've done this as well. Have always been happy with the LQS down the street, except for once. They kept telling me I needed material out of a certain line to go with the rest when I needed more contrast.