Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Have you ever THROWN AWAY brand new fabric? ON PURPOSE! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/have-you-ever-thrown-away-brand-new-fabric-purpose-t166772.html)

Doreen 11-08-2011 01:17 PM

I threw away black fabric that kept shredding. I wasn't going to give it away so that they would have the smae problems.

Snorky Lvs2Quilt 11-08-2011 02:30 PM

If you do any applique work, you could use it on something like a wall hanging that would not be thrown in the wash as frequently as a quilt. .... and yes that has happened to me. As a matter of fact, I still have it. It is earmarked for an applique for a wall hanging but that is in my UFO pile at the moment. LOL

:D
Diane:D

Queen 11-08-2011 03:18 PM

I had a fat quarter that I had received in a grab bag from a well known quilt shop. That thing shrank so much. I think it shrank just from looking at it. Out it went. Wouldn't want that in a quilt.
Mary

snow 11-08-2011 03:51 PM

Never.
Never.

bearisgray 11-08-2011 04:14 PM

If a fabric is a bleeder -

1) I will try to return it to the store (if I have a sales receipt) - I consider a bleeding fabric defective

2) If I can't return it, I'll discard it. I won't give it to Goodwill or any of those places, because I would not like to have someone else's project mucked up because he/she didn't know any better about fabrics.

3) Cotton burns nicely. Throw it in a fire.

If it's very wrinkled -

1) I would try washing it one more time - and see what happens

1a) If it behaves better, use it.

1b) If no better or worse, get it out and away from your good stuff.

I think keeping a bad piece of fabric is kind of like keeping a rotten apple with good apples. The one bad piece will just spoil the rest of the project.

momto5 11-08-2011 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by valleyquiltermo (Post 4646074)
I'd take it back where you bought it if at a LQS or Hobby Lobby or Wal-mart.

And I would, too.

sewingsuz 11-08-2011 06:04 PM

I would use as a dust rag. good Idea!!

chuckbere15 11-08-2011 10:22 PM

I have never thrown any fabric away like that. I guess I have been lucky. Now I would not even consider throwing away any fabric either ir be scraps or crumbs. I save them and give them to one of the ladies in my guild. When she gets enough "scraps" she makes a dog bed and uses that for the stuffing and then she donates the bed to the human services. I keep a small garbage can next to me just for that purpose and I encourage everyone to do the same.

craftyheart2 11-08-2011 11:43 PM

I bought some FQs along with my magazine subscription. The 1st few I washed I could not get to stop running plus when dry they were hard. All went out.

Wingsofjoy 11-09-2011 03:53 AM

I would try to take it back and get a refund if I could. But yes I have thrown new material away. You can also use the material as a cleaning rag. I also let my husband use material that I don't want to tie his tomatoes up in his garden.