Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Have you ever THROWN AWAY brand new fabric? ON PURPOSE! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/have-you-ever-thrown-away-brand-new-fabric-purpose-t166772.html)

threadsdmr 11-08-2011 06:12 AM

I would be returning it so they can see what is does. And at the price of fabric these days get an exchange for something else.

elm 11-08-2011 07:10 AM

Take it back to the store. I bet you'll get the chance to swap it for a different piece of fabric.

RonieM 11-08-2011 07:14 AM

I'd rather toss a bad piece of fabric than have it ruin a project.

sandy l 11-08-2011 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by cholla (Post 4646072)
I have! I bought a bleeder. It bled the first time I washed it, the second time, the third I ironed it after to set the color. Nope, it kept on bleeding. It went into the pile of scraps and salvage I use for fire starter. Waste not.

Had a piece of flannel like that once, and I wouldn't even keep it to use for the vets cage pads.

raptureready 11-08-2011 07:22 AM

I put bleeders in with blenders, use them in utility scrap quilts and don't give it another thought. Sometimes adding a large handful or two of salt to the water will help set the color.

abc123retired 11-08-2011 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok (Post 4648451)
wow..I have used bolts of Kona black and NEVER had this happen...did you buy at a quilt shop or Hancocks?

This doesn't sound like Kona-black or otherwise. I think the bolt was mismarked in the store.

Kath12 11-08-2011 07:35 AM

that is a good idea! Take it back

Originally Posted by valleyquiltermo (Post 4646074)
I'd take it back where you bought it if at a LQS or Hobby Lobby or Wal-mart.

marciacp 11-08-2011 07:46 AM

I think I would take it back to the shop where you bought it and get a refund. I agree
that it should not have done that and I would not use it in a quilt. As far as it doing
differently from the other fabrics, that could be because it wasn't as good a grade as
the others. If it came from a quilt shop, it should be quilt shop quality, but if it came
from a box store, you never know what you will get. Anyway, take it back and get
your money back. :))
Have a Blessed Day!
Marcia

joyce blint 11-08-2011 09:56 AM

I came dangerously close this wk. Got a new McCall's pattern onsale=$1.00, and Christmas fabric $20.00 w postage. Was making my 16 mo-old GD a dress. Her mother (my DD) took one look and said, " You don't actually expect her to wear that outside the hse, do you?" I was going to pitch it, but loved the fabric so much, I took the dress apart and am making doll clothes and hot pads from it. I'm glad I got her opinion before completing it, so I could put the fab to gd use.

jeanharville 11-08-2011 01:02 PM

I've enjoyed "hearing" so many things one can do with unwanted fabric. That is one reason I love this board, there is no end to the creative ideas here.