Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Have you made arrangement for your stash? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/have-you-made-arrangement-your-stash-t305427.html)

juliasb 06-25-2019 06:47 AM

I hope this thread helps to prepare young and old of the value of their quilting and sewing supplies. I recently completed what I call my annual "stash bash". I tallied the yardage that came to close to 7000 yards of fabric. This did not include pieces under a yard. The majority of my fabrics are quilt shop quality that were purchased originally at between $8-20 per yard. Many are vintage. The very thought of these ending in the trash somewhere or burned up is beyond my comprehension. From time to time I will sell some at a garage sale only because I am out of space and I realize that these pieces are no longer to my liking. Please plan ahead.

Iceblossom 06-25-2019 07:03 AM

I love fabric, simply love it all. If I had more space or more money I'd probably be up to my neck in fabric, but about 7-10 years ago I got the diagnosis that I have progressive vision loss and the likelihood is high that my vision will go out before my fabric does. Since I live in a small house packed full of stuff and since I no longer work I no longer have the expendable budget I once have, space and budget are real concerns for me.

So I made the decision to start reducing my stash and I've reduced it probably by about half even though I am still bringing some fabric home. I have some projects planned just because they will use up part of some large collections of fabric and once made I will feel better about reducing that out of my stash.

My husband understands the joy I get out of my fabric and if something happens to me he knows how to contact "the quilt ladies". Fortunately for me, I buy very little new and mostly buy yardage at thrift stores so the cost isn't anywhere close to retail. Like I bought some bags this weekend, mostly 80s stuff but about 10 yards in a bag for about $3.99. Lot easier to justify at that price than $100.

Anyway, my plan for my stash is to use up/give away as much as possible in the next 5 years -- especially using the fabrics I've saved for "some day" because today is that day! I sew some most days. Some projects are for me/family but most are destined to be donations. I need to find a better way for quilting down my projects or at least sandwiching them together than I currently have. I love to piece, I'm not so fond of the quilting...

lberna 06-25-2019 07:16 AM

My adult granddaughters know I want them to donate all of my stash to a quilt guild that makes quilts for charity agencies, hospitals, and other worthy causes.

Onebyone 06-25-2019 07:18 AM

It only matters what is done with a stash to the ones that know the value the stash was to the quilter. If someone said the woman took her husband's collection of old newspapers to the dump who would be upset over it unless it was another newspaper collector?

mic-pa 06-25-2019 08:21 AM

Thank goodness I have two DD's and a DIL that quilt and usually with me. So all of my supplies and fabric will be divided amoung them I have four sewing machines and they will also get them. No arguments from this side They all own more then one machines themselves, LOLOL

zozee 06-25-2019 08:34 AM

This is a good reminder to let my family know my wishes in case anything happens to me. I would first offer the fabric to the 3family members who show an interest in sewing (my DIL who is the mother of twin boy and girl), my older sister who is a quilter, and my niece). Ditto my machine, assuming it outlives me. After that, I have a friend who sews for charity and belongs to a guild. I hope my stash is never so overwhelming that getting rid of it would be a huge burden to my loved ones, which is why I'm resolved to use up my 3 dressers' worth before buying more, except if I get a special request for a quilt or a very specific reason.

Mousie 06-25-2019 08:56 AM

I'm now doing a variation/likeness of Swedish death cleaning.
It is not a sad thing and there is a book or books on it.
I'm 61 but have accumulated more than I even imagined bc it was all
piled up.
I think my family, at least middle dd knows that I want my stuff to go to
Hospice. They have helped so many families with loved ones that they
couldn't care for by themselves.
Once you spread your stuff out for going through, that is when you realize
what your family would deal with.
It is no wonder they are tempted to get rid of it the quickest and easiest
way possible. My husband would have no qualms just bagging and trashing
thousands of dollars worth of fabric and notions.
He has told me in a fit of anger due to exhaustion, (he's on oxygen), that he
would like to burn the house down, lol.
I overlooked it bc it was the fatigue etc. talking, but he could have a few sets
of clothes and a toothbrush as long as he had clean underwear and plenty of
food. He'd be set!
Me? not so simple, but I'm getting better all the time :).

Quilter 53 06-25-2019 09:06 AM

NikkiLu,
I hope you are not feeling ill will toward your friend's husband.
My MIL was a knick-knack collector. They were every where! Wasn't a space empty enough for you to set down a coffee cup, no exaggeration! Within the first week of her passing, my FIL got rid of all of them. Seems it had been a bone of contention, but he never said a word. Just quietly endured until he didn't have to anymore. There were a few things my daughters might have liked to have, but nothing of any great expense, just stuff they remembered as always being in Grandma's house.
Tho' burning her stash does seem excessive, it might have been something he needed to do in his grieving process.

quiltingcandy 06-25-2019 10:13 AM

A friend of mine is currently living in an assisted living facility for the mentally impaired. She hasn't been able to take care of herself for about 3 years now and has been unable to knit or sew for even longer. Her DH passed away a year ago and so her daughter is slowly cleaning out their house. My friend was just shy of being a hoarder. Her daughter has given me most of the items she finds that has anything to do with sewing - including her Pffaff sewing machine. I took it to 2 different repair shops and the estimate was over $600 to repair so I gave it to one for parts. I knew it was a treasure to her but I already have 5 machines that do work and do not have that kind of money for a 6th one. Her daughter didn't want it back because no one in the family sews.
My daughters don't sew, in fact no one in my family sews except my sister that lives 1300 miles away. People used to sew because it was a way to save money and it was a necessity for mending. But now it's expensive and truly a luxury because you can buy clothes for less than the price of a pattern and fabric - not including zippers, thread, and buttons. You can buy bags for less than the fabric.
I am not going to worry about what happens after I am gone. The family will do what they want with it. They know the value because they were there when I bought most of it - they have even bought a lot of it for me. We do what we need to do when it's time and I don't want to make requests of others they may not be able to do.

dunster 06-25-2019 10:38 AM

Thank you for reminding me that I need to leave notes for the family (and probably have a discussion with them) concerning my quilting equipment, fabric, and supplies. I'm not going to tell them what to do with anything, but will outline some options and be sure that they know that there is value in almost everything. If none of them wants an item, and no one wants to take the time and effort to sell it, there are lots of organizations (including my guild's philanthropy program) that would make good use of it.