Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Have you made arrangement for your stash? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/have-you-made-arrangement-your-stash-t305427.html)

Stitchnripper 06-25-2019 10:58 AM

I don't have a big stash (just a few scrap bins, some fat quarters and a bit of yardage all of which I am trying to work through) but I do have a collection of vintage machines in working order and a lot of "gizmos" so I have told Mr. Stitchnripper to call the quilt shop I go to on Fridays to quilt with my friends, and the quilt shop owners and friends know that if they get the call they can have first pick, donate to a place that won't ditch the machines, donate the rest through their various guilds, etc. The shop is about 2 miles from my house, so I don't foresee a big problem.

sewingitalltogether 06-25-2019 11:55 AM

My oldest sister passed away 2 years ago. Her husband wanted all of her quilting fabric gone asap. A lot went in the trash. Some to Good Will. Her books they gave away at the memorial.
My own sewing room is deep and seems to be getting deeper every year. My daughter doesn't sew. But maybe someone else in the family might want some of it. The local quilting groups would take it. Maybe I should start sewing faster.

LynnBBQ 06-25-2019 12:14 PM

My mother-in-law passed away unexpectedly during routine surgery last summer, so there was no list or final instructions for her husband and kids. She was not a quilter but did some home sewing and a lot (!) of crochet. She lived halfway across the country so when we flew out for the funeral my father-in-law had me go through her sewing and craft stash. None of her family was interested in anything at all. He insisted that I take her sewing machine, a small Janome she had just purchased a year before. I could not take much since everything had to be shipped back home, so I took a few of her crochet items and the afghan she was halfway finished with. I thought I could figure out the pattern and finish it for her granddaughter. The rest of the yarn and crochet and misc craft items were donated to a women's prison program near them. I shipped my dirty clothes back home via USPS and took the Janome as my carry-on luggage for the flight home - there is no way I would put it in checked airline luggage!

tranum 06-25-2019 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by juliasb (Post 8269573)
I hope this thread helps to prepare young and old of the value of their quilting and sewing supplies. I recently completed what I call my annual "stash bash". I tallied the yardage that came to close to 7000 yards of fabric. This did not include pieces under a yard. The majority of my fabrics are quilt shop quality that were purchased originally at between $8-20 per yard. Many are vintage. The very thought of these ending in the trash somewhere or burned up is beyond my comprehension. From time to time I will sell some at a garage sale only because I am out of space and I realize that these pieces are no longer to my liking. Please plan ahead.

about burning things : Schools in smaller towns display a composite picture of each graduating class. Many years ago our school took theirs down while the hallways were being painted. This was the days of having a burn barrel by the alley and someone happened on a janitor burning the group pictures, frame and all. They got him stopped but about 10 years were lost. Some have been replaced, but not all.

AStitchInTime 06-25-2019 01:25 PM

I printed out a "Quilters Last Will and Testament" https://quiltville.blogspot.com/2005...ters-will.html

framed it and hung it on my wall in my sewing room. DH saw it and thanked me for letting him know what to do with my sewing stuff, then asked me to add my "beneficiary's" phone number to the bottom (I taped it to the back instead).

I have no doubt he'll make that call if I go before him.

peaceandjoy 06-25-2019 02:17 PM

Things that were once cherished and handed down through generations are no longer as desired. Antique furniture and china are other good examples of things that most of our children do not want. I completely understand and do not want my daughters to feel that they must keep something just because.

Having just celebrated my 59th birthday, I hope to have a lot more time to use my stash, which is not growing at the rate it was when I started; I've found that I prefer "scrappy" so rarely buy 2 yards at a time (which I often did when I started quilting), unless I can see it in a border. I'm quite happy to have 1/2 yard of fabrics I love. Still, that stash has definitely grown this year.

When I am no longer able to sew, whether due to being ill, losing ability or interest, or death, my fabric will have already given me great joy. It is the only thing I love to shop for; I also love to see my stash and all of the possibilities.

Whatever is left when I can no longer enjoy it is to be given to my guild and a charitable group I sew with. Yes, it was worth thousands when I purchased it though the years. But I am content with knowing that it will go to others who will enjoy using it, whether for themselves or for charity. Perhaps they will enjoy getting something pretty with no cost, perhaps they will enjoy using it to make a quilt to keep someone who has little a quilt, perhaps they will enjoy looking at it as part of their stash.

Jingle 06-25-2019 03:06 PM

My oldest Daughter and oldest Granddaughter know what I want done with my stuff, sewing and not.

ILoveToQuilt 06-25-2019 03:30 PM

DH and I will be drastically downsizing over the next year, so I will be getting rid of a lot of my quilting things. mostly donating them to my guild. Of course, I am trying to use up as much of my stash as possible. Unfortunately, our new house will not have the room for a stash or my many machines. My stepdaughter is somewhat of a sewist, so my machines will go to her. She and my 2 daughters in law can have what they want. Being that we are moving to an extremely rural area and I probably will not have guild membership there, my DH will either have to give what's left to a thrift store or trash it. Saddens me, but it is what it is.

Annaquilts 06-25-2019 03:36 PM

Hubby wants it. He knows the value as he is my enabler. I also have a daughter that will take it and distribute it.

osewme 06-25-2019 03:47 PM

I have very little stash but my 2 sewing machines will go to my DD. As far as the stash, she will find a home for it. Most of my stash is no larger than fat quarters & the rest is no larger than 1 to 2 yards & very little of that. All of it is stored in about 10 plastic stackable bins that are about 7" x 7" x 12" each. I don't think I will need to add that to my will.