Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Have you made your "Masterpiece" yet? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/have-you-made-your-%22masterpiece%22-yet-t101041.html)

shequilts 02-18-2011 09:59 PM

A very dear friend of mine, who is an outstanding quilter,
was showing me some of her earlier quilts. The colors and patterns made it easy to see the different eras of her work. I soon began to notice a pattern of progressive difficulty in her completed works. She has many original designs all enhanced by her superb handquilting.
Although I have been quilting for more years than I want to recall, I mentioned that I hope to be as skilled as she when I grow up. She thanked me modestly and then gently said, "I still haven't created my masterpiece yet".
Those 7 words stuck with me. As gifted as she is, and as exquisite as her work is, she is still striving to improve.
She continues to crank out enviable quilts and then gives them away.
I certainly haven't created any "masterpieces" but my friend inspired me to do better with each attempt.
Have you created your Masterpiece yet?

Busy Bee 02-18-2011 10:07 PM

I have my "Masterpiece" in my head. It started as just a simple idea and I happened to mention it to my DH. He went wild with my idea and inspired me to something bigger and better than my original idea. So now I am learning the different techniques that I will need to make "OUR Masterpiece".

quiltsRfun 02-18-2011 10:15 PM

I'm learning as I go along so as I finish each one I consider it my current masterpiece. Still have a long way to go though. :)

fidgety 02-18-2011 11:12 PM

Nope I have not made my masterpiece yet and am not sure what it will even be. I guess when I make it I will know.

LovinMySoldier 02-18-2011 11:19 PM

A queen sized cathedral window quilt is my current master piece :) I have a 3 ft square so far! My goal is to have it done by the first of June. I started first of Feb! So 4 months. This is for my bed! Then onto a new master piece :) Master piece sounds like it is your best ever work of art! I want every piece to be a bit better than the last. There is always room to improve somehow!

jajudd24 02-18-2011 11:38 PM

No masterpieces yet...I keep dreaming for one>...

ckcowl 02-19-2011 03:45 AM

everytime i create my masterpiece there is another one coming up...ever quilt, no matter how simple is a masterpiece!
in all seriousness, i have made quilts that at the time i considered just the most beautiful...best crafted...most 'take your breath away quilt ever' and at the time it was, but skills improved, creativity grew, and another one would happen....so, no probably not, but at the time they were :D

purplemem 02-19-2011 04:32 AM

I have the fabric, now I am looking for the pattern. It's been in my head for a while, but alas, not concrete yet.

sueisallaboutquilts 02-19-2011 04:53 AM

Not yet. I hope someday to be able to say YES!! :D

Maride 02-19-2011 05:48 AM

Most artist don't realize they did their masterpiece already. We are our worse judges. Sometimes we hide our best pieces. I want to say yes. I have. It is yet to be recognized as a masterpiece and I hope it happens while I am still alive.