Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Have you tried??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/have-you-tried-t206203.html)

sew_itnow 11-18-2012 06:27 AM

I have one of those but it didn't come with steam. I used it when pressing a lot of denim and large pieces of fabric when I was making clothing. I haven't used it in a long time. Been doing more quilting than clothing sewing.

2blackcats 11-18-2012 08:56 AM

WOW, thanks for the memories. My mother had one when I was a child in the 50's and I hadn't thought about that in years!

quilter2090 11-18-2012 09:20 AM

You're right. Eleanor Burns did use one on Quilt in a Day,when Elna was the sponsor for her program.

Peckish 11-18-2012 09:30 AM

Wow, I've never seen one of those. Before my time. It looks like it more work than it's worth to me!

Rann 11-18-2012 10:59 AM

Thankfully, we never had one. We did have a wringer washer that we took from the shed to the back deck and ran a water hose to. Hated that thing!

sailsablazin 11-18-2012 05:15 PM

Sheets??? Heck I remember learning to iron and I had to iron my bras and brother's undershirts....What was my mom thinking??? Guess in am emergency I would be the gal in the best pressed underwear...LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jingle 11-18-2012 05:23 PM

I remember the mangles from the 50s. We didn't have one but one of the neighbors did. No A/C then either, some stores were starting to get it and would advertise on their windows 'come in its cool inside'. I love A/C but, never got central air until 1987. We also had a wringer washer in the 50s. After we got married we had one until about 1972-3. We use to hang out laundry in the 50s and I did too, until about 1987.
I have no desire to go back. I love progress and that is my motto, 'just go forward'.

FabricHeaven 11-18-2012 06:13 PM

What a trip down memory lane! My mother also had a mangle and she ironed everything also; sheets, shirts, my dad's underwear, you name it! I think she was so relieved when permanent press items began to appear. I learned how to use it but am quite content with my ironing board and iron for all my needs; sewing and personal.

fayzer 11-18-2012 06:14 PM

I am old as dirt and have never seen one of those things. :D

captlynhall 11-18-2012 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by jcrow (Post 5663246)
My mom had one and use to iron all our sheets and other things. It was huge!! I remember her sweating while she worked. She didn't seem to enjoy it. Now I wonder "why did she iron our sheets?"

She ironed your sheets because everything wrinkled. Usually they were hung on the line to dry. When I was a young girl, my aunt had one of those big ironing machines. I thought that was the best thing ever. When I was about 10, I started out ironing hankerchiefs, sp., and table napkins, then moved on to pillow cases, then up to table cloths. There was no permanent press, so everything had to be ironed. One day was wash day, the next was ironing day. And we complain...