Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Have you tried???

Have you tried???

Has anyone ever tried those pressing table top steam presses for ironing fabric after prewashing? Theyre pricey but I wondered if they would work well for this.
    Cheryl Robinson
    http://www.silverneedlestitching.com
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter

Blog Entries
    do you mean one of these?
    http://www.yourjealousneighbors.com/...ge_1082199.htm

if so, i tried one once years ago at a knitting friend's house. she swore by it for pressing her knits for a professional look. they remind me of an old fashioned mangle.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

I've not tried the 'new fangled' pressers, but I do have an Ironrite mangle: http://archive.org/details/MakingaN1946_2

You've just sent me on a trip down memory lane ... as a kid I used to iron things in the mangle and thought it was so FUN!

I was tempted by one at a thrift store last year and thought I was nuts for even considering it.
    ... another time, perhaps I will be smarter and nab one.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Blog Entries
    QuiltE ~ I also remember using a mangle. Mother had me 'iron' Dad's white t-shirts (back in the day when men always wore a t-shirt under their dress shirt). I got pretty good with the mangle! But would not have one now, because I do not iron, only press.
    "I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." -Confucius

https://picasaweb.google.com/home

My mother had one while we were growing up. It was something everyone seemed to have in the 50's. But we moved in 1965 and it ended up in the basement and never used. She gave it to a church to press their linens in early 2000. It still worked great and they were happy to have it.

I have one of those steam presses. I used to use it when I decorated a lot of towels, not terry cloth but cotton plaids. I bought towels that I cut in two to make them smaller and they had to be pressed. Then I decorated them with appliques. I probably sold thousands of them. The only thing I see could be a problem is it gets extremely hot. I have not tried it for ironing fabric after washing. I may have to get it off the top shelf and try it.
    Texas Sunshine, piney woods of NE Texas

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    My mom had one and use to iron all our sheets and other things. It was huge!! I remember her sweating while she worked. She didn't seem to enjoy it. Now I wonder "why did she iron our sheets?"
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

I think I remember seeing Eleanor Burns using one years back, but haven't seen her use it since.
    When you sleep under a quilt, you sleep under a blanket of love.

I worked in a dry cleaners in HS. I learned to use the big steam presses. They had both top and bottom steam. That little thing just disappointed me.

I have one of those but it didn't come with steam. I used it when pressing a lot of denim and large pieces of fabric when I was making clothing. I haven't used it in a long time. Been doing more quilting than clothing sewing.

Las Vegas, NV - transplanted from Southeastern PA
    WOW, thanks for the memories. My mother had one when I was a child in the 50's and I hadn't thought about that in years!
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, WINE IN THE OTHER, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!"

You're right. Eleanor Burns did use one on Quilt in a Day,when Elna was the sponsor for her program.

Blog Entries
    Wow, I've never seen one of those. Before my time. It looks like it more work than it's worth to me!

Thankfully, we never had one. We did have a wringer washer that we took from the shed to the back deck and ran a water hose to. Hated that thing!
    If you wouldn't write it and sign it, don't say it.

Sheets??? Heck I remember learning to iron and I had to iron my bras and brother's undershirts....What was my mom thinking??? Guess in am emergency I would be the gal in the best pressed underwear...LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I remember the mangles from the 50s. We didn't have one but one of the neighbors did. No A/C then either, some stores were starting to get it and would advertise on their windows 'come in its cool inside'. I love A/C but, never got central air until 1987. We also had a wringer washer in the 50s. After we got married we had one until about 1972-3. We use to hang out laundry in the 50s and I did too, until about 1987.
    I have no desire to go back. I love progress and that is my motto, 'just go forward'.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

What a trip down memory lane! My mother also had a mangle and she ironed everything also; sheets, shirts, my dad's underwear, you name it! I think she was so relieved when permanent press items began to appear. I learned how to use it but am quite content with my ironing board and iron for all my needs; sewing and personal.

Blog Entries
    I am old as dirt and have never seen one of those things.

Quote Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
    My mom had one and use to iron all our sheets and other things. It was huge!! I remember her sweating while she worked. She didn't seem to enjoy it. Now I wonder "why did she iron our sheets?"
    She ironed your sheets because everything wrinkled. Usually they were hung on the line to dry. When I was a young girl, my aunt had one of those big ironing machines. I thought that was the best thing ever. When I was about 10, I started out ironing hankerchiefs, sp., and table napkins, then moved on to pillow cases, then up to table cloths. There was no permanent press, so everything had to be ironed. One day was wash day, the next was ironing day. And we complain...
    When a dying man asked his pastor "How long does it take to die?" his pastor's heartfelt reply was "A lifetime." Live life to the fullest, but stop now and then to enjoy the sunset.
    Lynda

I have had an Elna press for years and it is great for pressing fabrics for quilting

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
    do you mean one of these?
    http://www.yourjealousneighbors.com/...ge_1082199.htm

if so, i tried one once years ago at a knitting friend's house. she swore by it for pressing her knits for a professional look. they remind me of an old fashioned mangle.
    I had no idea these things even existed in today's world. I love this!

Quote Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
    People used to iron sheets, underwear, hankerchiefs and napkins because the heat kills germs. After everyone got clothes dryers, which also heat things up, some of the drudge work was avoided. I've never tried a mangle, but in theory it should press quilt pieces nicely without distorting them. I'll be reading through this thread to see what everyone thinks of them.
    “You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have.” ~Maya Angelou.

In the 50's I remember my grandmother using one. It was so fast to use.
    Grandmeto6 aka Judy

I have one that I bought when I was making quilts using the Cotton Theory method. Now I use it often when I'm making tshirt quilts. It works great to fuse the stabilizer onto the back of the tshirt fabric while using parchment paper to cover the tshirt front. I also use it for pressing small pieces that I want to starch heavily - again using parchment paper to protect the cover fabric. Mine doesn't have steam but a spritz of water will do the same thing.
    Deb
    Quilting is what grounds me. Better than therapy!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast