Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you pin? Have you tried?

Do you pin your quilt to sandwich it? When I do the free motion, the pins get in the way. I am going to try a tagger gun. What is your opinion of using that?

I don't use either....i spray baste

Got a tagger gun as a gift. Never could get it to work without jamming. Tried using it on last quilt and it broke. Basting spray!

Blog Entries
    I pin and just remove a few pins in the immediate area I'm quilting. I would think the tagger gun would be more of a problem since Murphy's law would mean that every tag you place will end up exactly where you don't need it!

Some people like to spray baste instead of pinning.

Spray basting is the best[IMHO]

Blog Entries
    Spray baste for me!

Isn't basting spray messy?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by deedum
    Do you pin your quilt to sandwich it? When I do the free motion, the pins get in the way. I am going to try a tagger gun. What is your opinion of using that?
    I spray baste & pin. Don't like the tagger gun; doesn't hold tight enough and fabric still shifts. What a waste of money that was! I then remove the pins as I go, if necessary. I stitch as close to it as I can before I remove it.

Blog Entries
    I used to pin, now I use a microtack. They are the tiniest tags, and I use the gun not to go from front to back, but to take a 'stitch' on the surface, so both ends are on the front. It holds the sandwich reall tightly together.

Trick is to try and use the most contrasting tacks so you can find them again, and to put them in with regular spacing.

My grandma taught me to pin with safety pins (maybe due to my age at the time) and then I went back and made long stitches all over my quilt. Then, she let me quilt it. We did it by hand those days and they were twin size quilts that I made.

messy?...protect the outer area as it is gummy and not easily removed. a bit of 'fume' too. saying that i like it the best, i add a few pins as well on the outer area. pinning is tedious unless you have a partner to help, and the pins have to be removed in the area you are quilting. a small spray is enough, don't overdo it.

Senior Member Karen's Kreations's Avatar
    I tried a tagger gun - didn't like the holes it made in the fabric. Now I either pin or spray baste - I prefer to spray baste if at all possible. However, if I pin I remove the ones in the area I'm quilting.

I use pins and pinmoors. Terrific, pinning is faster

Blog Entries
    I use Pinmoors too. Someone will post they are expensive and there are others things that will work just as good that cost less. I tried them all. They don't.

Blog Entries
    I pin, but want to try the spray baste.

I pin religiously using the curved safety pins and the wooden (Handiquilter?) tool designed to make pinning easier. When I FMQ I'm not usually following a marked pattern so I just "freely" go around in-the-way pins.

That said, I was introduced to using spray basting on a lap quilt by my LQS. Wow! I returned the favor by suggesting the method of spraying the layers together using the design wall, ala the YouTube tutorial. We had to use a couple of safety pins to make sure the sandwich didn't separate when we took it off the wall but the whole process was quick & easier!! We both learned something that day.

There is one that is made for quilters, its called the Micro Stitch the fasteners are MUCH shorter than the normal fasteners used to tag clothes in a store. They are about 1/8 inch long so it holds the sandwhich tighter even if your using warm and natural batting. by doing a search (basting gun) here on the board I found everal threads about them!

http://www.quiltingboard.com/search....ing+gun&u=&s=0

Quote Originally Posted by EagarBeez
    I use pins and pinmoors. Terrific, pinning is faster
    I use pinmoors as well and am very happy with them.

Cheers, K

I spray baste & use some pins. I love the spray baste!

I use basting spray and and some pins (curved safety pins) as back-up. Have never tried a tagging gun.

Blog Entries
    I've had a couple of instructors who said to machine baste the sandwich around the edge of the quilt, along with the pinning. For some reason, this always makes a fold for me so I pin the body of the quilt and use a micro tag gun around the perimeter. I agree that if you do want to try a tagging gun, you need to get the one with the tiny needle and tags.

I'll pin a small project, or if I'm going to tie the quilt; other than that I use Sharon Schamers basting method, you can find it on you tube, if you use water soluable thread you don't have to worry about the basting thread after you finish. Also, once you baste your quilt, it doesn't move, you don't have to worry about pins rusting, or catching.... plus you didn't have to crawl around on the floor!

I hated pinning too. What a pain and the pins were always in the way so I tried spray basting and I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by deedum
    I pin, but I habd quilt so it's not a problem for me.

I have hand basted, pinned and then found spray basting. I do not like pinning the quilt does not lay as flat, the pins get stuck when I try to free motion, my quilting does not look as nice and my fingers and back hurt. Spray basting is wonderful.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast