Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you pin? Have you tried? >

Do you pin? Have you tried?

Do you pin? Have you tried?

Old 02-17-2011, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by deedum
Do you pin your quilt to sandwich it? When I do the free motion, the pins get in the way. I am going to try a tagger gun. What is your opinion of using that?
I have used both. I prefer the pins and just remove them. when I am near that area. The gun works great, but leaves larger holes in the fabric that doesn't seem to close up like the holes that pins leave.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Hope2quilt
My grandma taught me to pin with safety pins (maybe due to my age at the time) and then I went back and made long stitches all over my quilt. Then, she let me quilt it. We did it by hand those days and they were twin size quilts that I made.
Yes, indeedy do! This works, and is faster than most other kinds of ways of securing the sandwich while you are quilting it...except spray...
I worry about spray changing color - darkening - over time, unless you can wash it out.
Actually, basting with a long running stitch , or Xs or Zs is faster than pinning, (Try it on a couple of fat quarter or stray block fabric sandwiches and see.. make a pillow?) and the sandwich is more flexible scrunched in the machine with basting, than with pinning, and those pesky pins catch, sometimes!
If you have a smallish project, or live where it is dry, try using thread that dissolves. If you live where it is humid,
it might dissolve by itself eventually, you might want to test a sample...
Old 02-17-2011, 08:02 PM

I spray baste my quilts at my LQS.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:19 PM

I pin. Have been FMGing for years so I just remove pins as I go. Not hard but it does take practice. It also helps that I have a large throat machine.
Originally Posted by deedum
Do you pin your quilt to sandwich it? When I do the free motion, the pins get in the way. I am going to try a tagger gun. What is your opinion of using that?
Old 02-17-2011, 09:17 PM

I used a tagger gun only once. Even the shortest plastic pieces were too long and allowed a certain amount of shifting. I will not use it again. I either pin or spray glue. Actually I prefer the spray glue. It hold well and you don't have to watch for pins while you quilt. Works for hand quilting too.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:43 AM

LOVE my tagger gun, have been using it since 1994. Some people say it puts holes in your quilt, yes it does but so do pins, and besides the holes come out when tags are removed. I have never had a problem! If I did not use the tagger gun I would
hand baste. HAPPY QUILTING.

:thumbup: :D :thumbup:
Old 02-18-2011, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by anicra
I baste my quilts using the Sharon Schambers method. No getting on the floor. It's easy and gives me the time to really analyze my quilt and decide how best to quilt it. It's worth a look at her instructional video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhwNylePFAA
I use this method also except for last quilt - since my boards weren't long enough and now I have another quilt that is 82" x 82" and the boards are only 60", plus don't have a table big enough - so I used my Qsnap frame and thread basted but the same way ash Ms. Schamers - it still bunched up in some spots - so on this bigger one I will try spray basting first then put it on the frame to baste - won't be making any more big quilts until I can get longer boards and another table.
Old 02-18-2011, 01:45 PM

Never used pins and probably never will mostly because of my hands plus I
don't want pins under my needle. I prefer to thread baste then I don't worry
too much if I sew over the thread.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:44 PM

When spraying, does a can go a long ways?
Old 02-19-2011, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by cheryl rearick
When spraying, does a can go a long ways?
The clerk at our lqs said that a can should do 2 or 3 quilts if you spray lightly. I also read somewhere that AquaNet Hair Spray has the same ingredients and is a lot cheaper and works also. I haven't tried it but I'm going to because of the cost. Has anyone here tried it??