Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Have you tried this? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/have-you-tried-t61429.html)

Jo M 08-27-2010 05:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Granna of 5
I am the queen of the seam ripper, and always have a problem with the little strings left over, so this morning I did some brain storming with what little brain I have left. I got a roll of masking tape and when finished taking out put the strip of tape on the fabric and unbelievable it took the strings off and I could throw the whole thing in the trash without sweeping up strings. I love this... I bet I am probably the last person in the world who didn't already know this..lol

My 2 cents worth: I keep a pet hair brush (even though I don't have pets) in my sewing room. It works great cleaning up the ironing board...and even a quick small area carpet clean up. There's always that little pile of string "escapees" on the floor.

featherweight 08-27-2010 05:14 AM

Jo M,
I have a "thread picker upper" too. Exactly like yours only red. LOL. They do a wonderful job too, huh??

skjack 08-27-2010 05:17 AM

I also use an eraser it works great. I use the white ones from the office supply store has flat end and other end is rounded so can hold it easily. use masking tape also..

Deborah12687 08-27-2010 05:45 AM

I just use my shop vac to clean up the strings and small fabric scraps. Most of my strings and scraps hit the floor and I can't bend over for any lenth of time to clean them up.

dixiechunk 08-27-2010 06:05 AM

Ya know, I did try this once and it also pulled out threads from the cut edge of the seam causing it to ravel. So I went back to using a small pair of tweezers to pluck off those pesky left-over threads. Maybe I was too aggressive with the tape and should try again.

steelecg 08-27-2010 06:41 AM

Terrific tip

quiltsbykandy 08-27-2010 08:12 AM

THANK YOU!!!! This is really smart. I will do it from now on. I also have been pulling them out one piece at a time and it takes forever. My husband seems to have enough masking tape around the house to last a lifetime. Thanks to you, we have the perfect use for it.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!

soleegirl 08-27-2010 08:30 AM

i use a lint roller . works perfect. even cleans the little threads off my work table.

Bev 08-27-2010 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Ditter43
I just used some the other day when I had to take a whole row apart! :-D

We DO remember that!!

:lol:

RV Gloria 08-27-2010 09:03 AM

The Dollar tree has lint rollers that are hollow so here is what I did...I took a good size round stick the length I wanted...drilled a hole in the end...put a pice of wire in the end and wraped it through my slint roller and back onto the stick...just a couple of wraps around the stick will do...just sit in my chair and roll the lint roller around my sewing table and cleans up the threads....and other small things even some pins that is dropped....