Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Have you tried this?

I am the queen of the seam ripper, and always have a problem with the little strings left over, so this morning I did some brain storming with what little brain I have left. I got a roll of masking tape and when finished taking out put the strip of tape on the fabric and unbelievable it took the strings off and I could throw the whole thing in the trash without sweeping up strings. I love this... I bet I am probably the last person in the world who didn't already know this..lol

I don't use masking tape unless it is right there. However I do use the lent roller to remove left over stringies from seam ripping!

Good idea - I usually just pick them out one by one - I like your idea!

I keep 2 lint rollers on my sewing table. Sure beats picking all those little threads out. :thumbup:

Okay. I need to move the lint roller from the bedroom night stand to the craft room... I used to use it all the time when I had dogs that shed but now that we are a poodle family, it has remained untouched!

I'm having a head slapping, duh moment lol.

Blue painter's tape is my "go to" for lots of things. I like to use a small loop that I stick on the side of my machine to hold thread ends and such while I'm sewing. This is especially good when there's not much room for a (what I think) are those heavy ditty bags that hang on the table.

I have a lint roller in every room(I have a long-haired cat), but the one I use the most is in the sewing room!!! I think I have more loose threads than cat hair in the house,lol!! Everytime I'm out doing errands I run to the Dollar Tree to pick more of the lint rollers up!! I don't want to run out of a girl's best friend!

KR
    Quote Originally Posted by Quilting Di
    I keep 2 lint rollers on my sewing table. Sure beats picking all those little threads out. :thumbup:
    My latest ironing board cover has a pouch attached to the front right edge of the cover, so that's where I keep my lint roller. Works great with the little bits that accumulate on the ironing board!

The pouch is also a good place to store an old tea towel....lay it down on the ironing board when pressing paper piecing blocks (try saying that fast 100 times!). The ink on the printed side will transfer to the towel instead of the ironing board cover. When it gets too bad it goes in the wash.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Granna of 5
    I am the queen of the seam ripper, and always have a problem with the little strings left over, so this morning I did some brain storming with what little brain I have left. I got a roll of masking tape and when finished taking out put the strip of tape on the fabric and unbelievable it took the strings off and I could throw the whole thing in the trash without sweeping up strings. I love this... I bet I am probably the last person in the world who didn't already know this..lol
    I have those lint rollers that are just big pieces of masking tape. I keep them in my ironing supplies drawer. I use them all the time. I even roll them across my cutting board after I have cut fleece or flannel. You would be surprised how much lint comes off. I even use them on my counter around my sewing machine if I have a lot of threads or lint around, better than a swiffer duster.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Granna, it looks like the good brain cells are still there!! :D
    Thanks for a great tip!!

Blog Entries
    You mean I can retire my tweezers?

From WI then Denver then Houston and now Hainesville, IL
    I use an eraser to pull the threads out of the material...easier than using your fingers to pull them out! Then I use the lint roller...
    Two steps, but eraser really works good to get out those stuborn threads...

Great tip!!!!!! I have one in the truck that I never use!

lint roller or tape....trick I learned from a quilting teacher

np3
    Blog Entries
    I like the blue painter's tape too. But I think I'll try the lint roller. I have several of them and never use them anymore.

Blog Entries
    quote=justwannaquilt]I don't use masking tape unless it is right there. However I do use the lent roller to remove left over stringies from seam ripping![/quote]

ditto :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    Thanks so much for the tip!!! I will buy a couple rolls of cheap tape just for this. Picking out the left over, tiny threads drives me batty!

Another one here slapping her head with the 'duh' moment! I've been picking them out with tweezers!!!!!!!!! And I used to think I was a pretty smart person.

Blog Entries
    I'm a big fan of lint rollers in my sewing room...what did I ever do without them?!

Oh...I hadn't thought of that!! I am going to try that! Thank you! I will try the painters tape, not as sticky as regular masking tape. Thx!

Blog Entries
    I have used lint rollers for a long time and think I found out about them when I first started machine embroidery years ago. I keep one right beside my machine. Not too long ago, I had a fit when it turned up missing. Turns out DH need a lint roller and couldn't find the one we keep for the household. Didn't mind him using it - just not putting it back where it belongs! (Major pet peeve with me - if you move it, put it back!)

so do I ! Its also great for picking up fabric lint on the cutting mat.

Quote Originally Posted by Quilting Di

Quote Originally Posted by Granna of 5
    I use masking tape whenever I cannot find my sweater lint roller.

What a great idea!

I just used some the other day when I had to take a whole row apart! :-D

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast