Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: I need your help, opinions on this.

Power Poster
    Hi. I was given a project this past weekend to do and this week I was going over my options. I recieved a tapestry from someone who wants me to do something with it. There is a history behind this tapestry, that I won't go into, but it is old. In the pictures you will notice they weren't quite finished when they stop working on it. These are the options I have thought about.
    1. Frame as is, unfinished (part of the history). (But its big.)
    The person doesn't want a binding put on it.
    2. Stitch with interfacing or (can't think of something else) with right side together and then turn right side out even though it not done.
    3.Stitch as above but with batting.
    4. Even off borders and finish as above with batting or interfacing.
    Obviously, I would talk it over with the owner. Thanks everyone.

Tapistry
    Name:  Attachment-104734.jpe
Views: 24
Size:  63.1 KB

Unfinished corners
    Name:  Attachment-104735.jpe
Views: 21
Size:  139.1 KB

I would have it framed professionally using the proper techniques for fabric and perhaps have it put under UV light resistant glass if it's a valuable piece. I don't think sewing it would add anything to the piece and may decrease its inherent value.

I vote for 2 and 3. This sounds like the simplest way to finish it

Be sure to show us what you decide..

Power Poster
    I think having it framed.

Quote Originally Posted by Candace
    I would have it framed professionally using the proper techniques for fabric and perhaps have it put under UV light resistant glass if it's a valuable piece. I don't think sewing it would add anything to the piece and may decrease its inherent value.
    I agree. It's hard to tell where the incomplete areas are from a photo.

np3
    Blog Entries
    I agree. Have it framed professionally.

I agree frame and don't touch. I really like it.

Ditto from me!!

I would frame it. while finishing it off would be wonderful I wouldn't. I think that unless it was made by a family member, it wouldn't be right to add to it. Especially since it seems to have at least sentimental value. But this is just me. If you frame it I would either type out or if you have great handwriting, write the story behind it and then have that frames with it.

Frame it.

Banned
    I agree with those suggesting to frame it. Your initial post indicates some history behind the piece. Is it a family heirloom. I am scared of the phrase "do something with it". If it does have value then doing anything other than frame it will decrease it's value. What obligation do you have in working with it? Since we don't know the history as you say in your initial post, it is difficult to give an informed opinion. Sometime projects like this comes back in a negative way in the future. If it does have value as a textile then someone in the future might say that it has been "defaced". You are doing this for someone else. Is this correct. Then I might return it to the person and suggest they have it professionally framed to retain it's historical and sentimental value. My opinion.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Annaquilts
    I agree frame and don't touch. I really like it.
    Count my vote for this one!

I agree with Candace. It's a beautiful piece and if it has even sentimental value to the owner, and it appears to, I would preserve it intact. You might also be able to have it attached to a light canvas stretcher frame, assuming you can have it treated to protect from dust and sunlight. Without prying, is it possible to tell us where it originated? Hope if you do have it framed or otherwise preserved we get to see the finished product. It's really quite wonderful.

I would frame it as well!

I too would have it professionally framed.

have it framed by a professional.

I took a course with EGA sometime ago about how to handle textiles and was taught not to put any textile under glass period. Maybe the rules have changed. I went to a professional framer and he taught us how to prepare textiles for framing with using acid free products and stitching them onto padded acid free board and then mounted them in frame. We were taught to use a damp white cloth to clean periodically. This would be gorgeous mounted this way.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sahm4605
    I would frame it. while finishing it off would be wonderful I wouldn't. I think that unless it was made by a family member, it wouldn't be right to add to it. Especially since it seems to have at least sentimental value. But this is just me. If you frame it I would either type out or if you have great handwriting, write the story behind it and then have that frames with it.
    This is what I think also.

Quote Originally Posted by martha jo
    I took a course with EGA sometime ago about how to handle textiles and was taught not to put any textile under glass period. Maybe the rules have changed. I went to a professional framer and he taught us how to prepare textiles for framing with using acid free products and stitching them onto padded acid free board and then mounted them in frame. We were taught to use a damp white cloth to clean periodically. This would be gorgeous mounted this way.
    I think seeking out an expert textile archiver would be the best bet. I don't think this is a job for anyone other than a professional. They'd have the right materials to preserve it correctly. It very well may be that glass is a no-no.

It is beautiful. I would let a pro handle it. You want to preserve it and not harm it's value.

I'd have it framed.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Holice
    I agree with those suggesting to frame it. Your initial post indicates some history behind the piece. Is it a family heirloom. I am scared of the phrase "do something with it". If it does have value then doing anything other than frame it will decrease it's value. What obligation do you have in working with it? Since we don't know the history as you say in your initial post, it is difficult to give an informed opinion. Sometime projects like this comes back in a negative way in the future. If it does have value as a textile then someone in the future might say that it has been "defaced". You are doing this for someone else. Is this correct. Then I might return it to the person and suggest they have it professionally framed to retain it's historical and sentimental value. My opinion.
    I agree with the above. You don't know what is in the owner's mind and sure don't want to do anything to affect its value.

Senior Member CompulsiveQuilter's Avatar
    I am a professional picture framer and I definitely agree with framing it - but only go to a pro that has fabric-framing expertise. Call and find out first, go there and get a feel for their apprecitaton for the piece. If they wear cotton gloves when even getting close to touching it, you'll know their attitude about historical art. Definitely UV glass. You'll be spending a pretty penny, but spread over the years of enjoyment, it's worth it.

I agree with the framing but I would put the history on the back of the framed piece. Maybe have someone that has an embroidery machine sew it out so that this is all recorded.

I am with the others to have it professionally framed without adding or taking away any part of this as it surely (I believe) would de-value it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast