Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I need your help, opinions on this.

I think I would frame it too.

Definitely frame!

Quote Originally Posted by Candace
    I would have it framed professionally using the proper techniques for fabric and perhaps have it put under UV light resistant glass if it's a valuable piece. I don't think sewing it would add anything to the piece and may decrease its inherent value.
    I agree. Take it to a professional framer and put under the proper glass to protect it. It should not be 'finished' by someone else if it's old and has value. If it is merely sentimental value that is a different case but you mentioned it is old.
    I always dread when other people want to give me something that is precious to them BUT not finished or needs something else done to it and would you do it for them... Good Luck :-)

Quote Originally Posted by CompulsiveQuilter
    I am a professional picture framer and I definitely agree with framing it - but only go to a pro that has fabric-framing expertise. Call and find out first, go there and get a feel for their apprecitaton for the piece. If they wear cotton gloves when even getting close to touching it, you'll know their attitude about historical art. Definitely UV glass. You'll be spending a pretty penny, but spread over the years of enjoyment, it's worth it.
    You are very right. My BIL is also a professional framer in Seattle and handles art museum stuff. Really check out who you're taking it to. Not some craft store counter.

I'd talk to a professional framer to get options. Do protect the integrity of the tapestry piece. Good luck~

I agree that it would be best to have a professional do any framing. Also having the history attached to the back would be an idea.

Sounds like most would have it professionally framed and I agree. If only the corners of the background fabric are what you consider unfinished, the rest of it is done. If there are places were the embroidery is not finished, that would add character and should not be touched.It belongs behind glass and would be an honor to be displayed, to the maker and to the Lord.
    Carol J.

I would recommend to the owner to have it professionally framed. It will be best protected this way since it is an old piece.

Senior Member Quilter Day-by-Day's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Frame It.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    OK, I must be the rebel here, but here is another thought. If you plan to frame it, I would suggest removing the white border completely, then frame just the tapestry. The white looks like muslin, anyway, and adds nothing to the piece. The mat and frame would replace the border, and set it off beautifully. Plus, it might make it a bit smaller, and you could have some color in the mat. If it was meant to be a quilt, I would still remove the white border, then add sashing strips that bring out some of the color of the tapestry, and maybe some additional borders, then quilt it with batting, outlining the shapes in the tapestry (not an overall pattern), then bind it, add a hanging sleeve to hang it. Just my opinion :)

My vote is for having it professionally framed, too. Try a Michael's with a 50% off coupon for custom framing. I had a very old oil painting done at my local store and it is beautiful - just what I wanted. Your tapestry could be matted with an accent color and then put in a frame to match the owner's decor. Something to cherish for sure - and then you don't have to worry about it buckling up in the middle, etc. They press it and secure it to a type of framing board. Good luck!

Gladstone, Oregon by way of Washington(the state)
    Go to a professional textile restorer. They will know how best to address the restoration of this. If the person that owns this doesn't want to do that I would have them sign a disclaimer. Stating that you were not responsible for it's future value or lack there of. If they don't want to sign that or go to a restorer then I'd hand it back and tell them sorry.
    Just for your protection since we do not know its history.
    :-D

have it professionaly framed as is gladness_s

Power Poster
    Hi there, Thank you so much for your input on this. As I was looking at this tapistry I wanted to tell them to have it framed, but I wanted all of your opinions to back me up. I didn't want to tell you what I wanted to do so I wouldn't sway you one way or another. I really don't know much of the history. What I do know is they didn't finish this because they had to leave the country. When, where, why, I didn't ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Holice
    I agree with those suggesting to frame it. Your initial post indicates some history behind the piece. Is it a family heirloom. I am scared of the phrase "do something with it". If it does have value then doing anything other than frame it will decrease it's value. What obligation do you have in working with it? Since we don't know the history as you say in your initial post, it is difficult to give an informed opinion. Sometime projects like this comes back in a negative way in the future. If it does have value as a textile then someone in the future might say that it has been "defaced". You are doing this for someone else. Is this correct. Then I might return it to the person and suggest they have it professionally framed to retain it's historical and sentimental value. My opinion.
    I agree. It looks wonderfully 'folk art'. I'd be afraid sewing some on it would screw it up. I think framing's the way to go. It'll be expensive, but for an heirloom piece, it would be worth it.

Why don,t you make stained glass blocks and put around it?

I AGREE! FRAME IT

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sahm4605
    I would frame it. while finishing it off would be wonderful I wouldn't. I think that unless it was made by a family member, it wouldn't be right to add to it. Especially since it seems to have at least sentimental value. But this is just me. If you frame it I would either type out or if you have great handwriting, write the story behind it and then have that frames with it.
    This is just a thought...I would suggest that you play with your 'notebook' (ibm) or 'textedit' (mac) program and font sizes/styles/colors, to type out the story, then print it on printer fabric, sew it to the backside after you do, what you will do, on the front. It is a beautiful piece of needlework, it would be a shame to loose the story that goes with it, for future generations to read and understand, what the unfinished work represents. Have you ever seen the unfinished portrait of George Washington? One of the most famous portraits known in this country. Where would we be without the story?

Quote Originally Posted by Holice
    I agree with those suggesting to frame it. Your initial post indicates some history behind the piece. Is it a family heirloom. I am scared of the phrase "do something with it". If it does have value then doing anything other than frame it will decrease it's value. What obligation do you have in working with it? Since we don't know the history as you say in your initial post, it is difficult to give an informed opinion. Sometime projects like this comes back in a negative way in the future. If it does have value as a textile then someone in the future might say that it has been "defaced". You are doing this for someone else. Is this correct. Then I might return it to the person and suggest they have it professionally framed to retain it's historical and sentimental value. My opinion.
    I agree 100% with this answer. If you make any changes to the orginial it is no longer considered the orginal person's work.

Quote Originally Posted by Candace
    I would have it framed professionally using the proper techniques for fabric and perhaps have it put under UV light resistant glass if it's a valuable piece. I don't think sewing it would add anything to the piece and may decrease its inherent value.
    i definitely have to agree with candace this piece is to beautiful to do anything else with.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Twilliebee
    I agree with Candace. It's a beautiful piece and if it has even sentimental value to the owner, and it appears to, I would preserve it intact. You might also be able to have it attached to a light canvas stretcher frame, assuming you can have it treated to protect from dust and sunlight. Without prying, is it possible to tell us where it originated? Hope if you do have it framed or otherwise preserved we get to see the finished product. It's really quite wonderful.
    I agree, Have it framed, and also write the history up and frame that too. It is really a pretty piece. I would love to know the history of this art work and see it when the final decision is made as to what to do with this.

frame it--it's to beautiful to do anything else with

Professionally framed.

I also would have it professionally framed. It sounds like there is an important (to someone) history, judging from your note.

If you quilted it, what would you do with it? I definitely would not use it as a pillow.

I think we all agree that it should be professionally framed with the story of how it written either on the back between 2 pieces of glass that way both sides can be seen and as the other have said, get the owner to do it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast