Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I need your help, opinions on this. >

I need your help, opinions on this.

I need your help, opinions on this.

Old 08-27-2010, 05:16 AM

I agree that it would be best to have a professional do any framing. Also having the history attached to the back would be an idea.
Old 08-27-2010, 05:31 AM

Sounds like most would have it professionally framed and I agree. If only the corners of the background fabric are what you consider unfinished, the rest of it is done. If there are places were the embroidery is not finished, that would add character and should not be touched.It belongs behind glass and would be an honor to be displayed, to the maker and to the Lord.
Carol J.
Old 08-27-2010, 05:39 AM

I would recommend to the owner to have it professionally framed. It will be best protected this way since it is an old piece.
Old 08-27-2010, 06:22 AM

Frame It.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:33 AM
Banned

OK, I must be the rebel here, but here is another thought. If you plan to frame it, I would suggest removing the white border completely, then frame just the tapestry. The white looks like muslin, anyway, and adds nothing to the piece. The mat and frame would replace the border, and set it off beautifully. Plus, it might make it a bit smaller, and you could have some color in the mat. If it was meant to be a quilt, I would still remove the white border, then add sashing strips that bring out some of the color of the tapestry, and maybe some additional borders, then quilt it with batting, outlining the shapes in the tapestry (not an overall pattern), then bind it, add a hanging sleeve to hang it. Just my opinion :)
Old 08-27-2010, 08:26 AM

My vote is for having it professionally framed, too. Try a Michael's with a 50% off coupon for custom framing. I had a very old oil painting done at my local store and it is beautiful - just what I wanted. Your tapestry could be matted with an accent color and then put in a frame to match the owner's decor. Something to cherish for sure - and then you don't have to worry about it buckling up in the middle, etc. They press it and secure it to a type of framing board. Good luck!
Old 08-27-2010, 08:45 AM

Go to a professional textile restorer. They will know how best to address the restoration of this. If the person that owns this doesn't want to do that I would have them sign a disclaimer. Stating that you were not responsible for it's future value or lack there of. If they don't want to sign that or go to a restorer then I'd hand it back and tell them sorry.
Just for your protection since we do not know its history.
:-D
Old 08-27-2010, 08:59 AM

have it professionaly framed as is gladness_s
Old 08-27-2010, 11:50 AM
Power Poster

Hi there, Thank you so much for your input on this. As I was looking at this tapistry I wanted to tell them to have it framed, but I wanted all of your opinions to back me up. I didn't want to tell you what I wanted to do so I wouldn't sway you one way or another. I really don't know much of the history. What I do know is they didn't finish this because they had to leave the country. When, where, why, I didn't ask.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Holice
I agree with those suggesting to frame it. Your initial post indicates some history behind the piece. Is it a family heirloom. I am scared of the phrase "do something with it". If it does have value then doing anything other than frame it will decrease it's value. What obligation do you have in working with it? Since we don't know the history as you say in your initial post, it is difficult to give an informed opinion. Sometime projects like this comes back in a negative way in the future. If it does have value as a textile then someone in the future might say that it has been "defaced". You are doing this for someone else. Is this correct. Then I might return it to the person and suggest they have it professionally framed to retain it's historical and sentimental value. My opinion.
I agree. It looks wonderfully 'folk art'. I'd be afraid sewing some on it would screw it up. I think framing's the way to go. It'll be expensive, but for an heirloom piece, it would be worth it.