Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Have you tried this?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Linda B
    Another one here slapping her head with the 'duh' moment! I've been picking them out with tweezers!!!!!!!!! And I used to think I was a pretty smart person.
    Ha-HA!!! My exact feeling....except I just use my fingers. Now I'll use the tape trick. Pretty smart feller!!! :lol:

I have used the blue painters tape to do that a lot!

I have used the lint roller for many other things as well like getting threads and fabric shreds off my ironing board, my cutting board and even the carpet around my sewing machine. I just wish there was a lint roller with a long handle to save the "old back".

Jan
    [email protected]

Jan, there actually is one with a long handle....check this out.

http://housekeeping.about.com/od/pro...pettouchup.htm

Great idea! I will have to check the Dollar Store for a lint roller next time I am there. I dont think this idea is new, but it was an aha moment for me - I usually do not clean the floor until I am done sewing (and ripping out!) a top and noticed that when I walked barefoot on the carpet, the little snips of thread kind of rolled into little balls, so when I finished, I got out the stiff bristled broom I use for the deck and most of the threads just swept up and I just picked up the little balls and was done. The vacuum gets tangled with too many threads and this worked out just fine. Anything to make life a bit easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Granna of 5
    I am the queen of the seam ripper, and always have a problem with the little strings left over, so this morning I did some brain storming with what little brain I have left. I got a roll of masking tape and when finished taking out put the strip of tape on the fabric and unbelievable it took the strings off and I could throw the whole thing in the trash without sweeping up strings. I love this... I bet I am probably the last person in the world who didn't already know this..lol
    My 2 cents worth: I keep a pet hair brush (even though I don't have pets) in my sewing room. It works great cleaning up the ironing board...and even a quick small area carpet clean up. There's always that little pile of string "escapees" on the floor.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jo M,
    I have a "thread picker upper" too. Exactly like yours only red. LOL. They do a wonderful job too, huh??

I also use an eraser it works great. I use the white ones from the office supply store has flat end and other end is rounded so can hold it easily. use masking tape also..

I just use my shop vac to clean up the strings and small fabric scraps. Most of my strings and scraps hit the floor and I can't bend over for any lenth of time to clean them up.

Ya know, I did try this once and it also pulled out threads from the cut edge of the seam causing it to ravel. So I went back to using a small pair of tweezers to pluck off those pesky left-over threads. Maybe I was too aggressive with the tape and should try again.

Terrific tip

THANK YOU!!!! This is really smart. I will do it from now on. I also have been pulling them out one piece at a time and it takes forever. My husband seems to have enough masking tape around the house to last a lifetime. Thanks to you, we have the perfect use for it.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!

i use a lint roller . works perfect. even cleans the little threads off my work table.

Bev
    Quote Originally Posted by Ditter43
    I just used some the other day when I had to take a whole row apart! :-D
    We DO remember that!!

:lol:

The Dollar tree has lint rollers that are hollow so here is what I did...I took a good size round stick the length I wanted...drilled a hole in the end...put a pice of wire in the end and wraped it through my slint roller and back onto the stick...just a couple of wraps around the stick will do...just sit in my chair and roll the lint roller around my sewing table and cleans up the threads....and other small things even some pins that is dropped....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Granna of 5
    I am the queen of the seam ripper, and always have a problem with the little strings left over, so this morning I did some brain storming with what little brain I have left. I got a roll of masking tape and when finished taking out put the strip of tape on the fabric and unbelievable it took the strings off and I could throw the whole thing in the trash without sweeping up strings. I love this... I bet I am probably the last person in the world who didn't already know this..lol
    I use a lint roller. I remember reading this hint somewhere. It works like a charm.

Blog Entries
    I thought I was the queen of the seam ripper. I'll be happy to give up the title. Great idea with the tape or roller! Thanks!

Haven't tried that but I keep an old yellow lead pencil and the eraser does a great job of cleaning up my bobo's

Great idea! I usually just throw all my thread pieces on the floor and vacuum when I am done with my project.

i use painters tape , it has its own place in my sewing room

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QBeth
    Blue painter's tape is my "go to" for lots of things. I like to use a small loop that I stick on the side of my machine to hold thread ends and such while I'm sewing. This is especially good when there's not much room for a (what I think) are those heavy ditty bags that hang on the table.
    Ditto, I use blue painters tape for taping down my quilt backing and top and batting. I also use it to pick up loose threads on the floor, love the stuff.

I also used to throw all of my threads on the floor but I discovered that some of them jumped up on my quilt again. After just finishing up on a king quilt I decided I was going to have to switch to the roller. If was impossible to always keep part of it from hitting the floor and making contact with those pesky threads.

Quote Originally Posted by KarenS
    Great idea! I usually just throw all my thread pieces on the floor and vacuum when I am done with my project.

Quote Originally Posted by QBeth
    Blue painter's tape is my "go to" for lots of things. I like to use a small loop that I stick on the side of my machine to hold thread ends and such while I'm sewing. This is especially good when there's not much room for a (what I think) are those heavy ditty bags that hang on the table.
    A good tip I got from a long arm quilter....she pins a small square of flannel on her upper chest to one side and puts her snippets of thread on that. Works wonderful.

Now I'm the next-to-the last person to figure that out -- an inexpensive roll of masking tape is a MUST in my sewing room.

I also use a lint roller, tape is too sticky and sticks to my hands, just tell me how to get a new piece of lint roller without tearing it up!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast