Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Haven't got a clue! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/havent-got-clue-t46093.html)

quiltingfan 05-17-2010 04:57 AM

Take a class at your local quilting shop. I did that and I loved it. Gave me more confidence, and take a class when I can.

CarrieAnne 05-17-2010 05:09 AM

Welcome! I would recommend something small with only squares! And dont spend lots of money yet....oh, that will happen later, LOL! Just get the needs, like good thread, scissors, pins, and the fabric you need.
Good LUCK! I know you will enjoy it!

sueisallaboutquilts 05-17-2010 09:59 AM

I also took a class for beginners and it was great. You learn all the basics and meet new people. I still take classes when I can. It's a blast!

GrammaNan 05-17-2010 10:16 AM

You have come to the right place! I agree with starting with something small, a wall hanging or pillow or maybe a bed runner. I love the disappearing nine patch. Craftybear, you are so thoughtful and kind to everyone. Thank you for sharing the tutorials with us.

wesing 05-17-2010 10:29 AM

I will agree that the Rail Fence is a great pattern for beginners. It uses 3 colors, has only straight cuts, and goes together fairly easily. You want to make something you'll use, so a wall hanging or lap quilt would be great. Everyone else is correct that this habit gets expensive, start with the basics: ruler, rotary cutter, mat, scissors, thread, and fabric. On the rulers several of us recommend picking a brand that you find useful and easy to use, and stick with that brand. This may be somewhat limiting if you shop local, but you can find most anything on the internet. Be sure to post pics when you're done.

Darren

Evie 05-17-2010 10:43 AM

Yes, I blame Eleanor Burns for my obsession. I really was naive to believe I could make a "Quilt In A Day"! But I'm still at it after a couple of years and maybe some day it'll happen. :wink:

weatheread 05-17-2010 10:46 AM

A local quilt shop with lessons is a good place to start

Lyn4ty 05-17-2010 12:46 PM

Welcome to the board from Northern IL!! I agree a nice simple pattern, four patch or fence rail, comes to mind. I did a double irish chain wall hanging for my first quilt and then jumped straight to a king size double irish chain for my second one. I machine stitched the blocks, but hand quilted both. Sure wish this board had been around for advice then. Get simple supplies that others have suggested and most important take your time and have fun with it. There really is no quilt police so just enjoy the experiece! Afterwards please let us know how you are doing!

flikkem 05-17-2010 01:39 PM

Befriend a quilter for guidance. You'll have a new friend and a new hobby. If you can afford it, I suggest taking a beginner class.

isewhegolf 05-17-2010 03:09 PM

Might I introduce you to my very good and faithful friend. We spend a lot of time together and I find him absolutely essential in quiltmaking. His name is Jack...Jack the Ripper! Buy a ripper that feels good in your hand; cheap ones break and often make holes due to burrs.