Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Heat & Bond vs wonderunder vs ? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/heat-bond-vs-wonderunder-vs-t120257.html)

trugger 05-02-2011 05:38 AM

Hi Everyone,
I need some expert advice....

I'm wondering what y'all use for applique and how you like it.

For the first time, I used Heat & Bond to applique fun things to the outside of a playhouse for my niece.
It worked well, but it's a little thick.
And, I'm not sure how it will wash.

My next project (or one of my next projects) will be a quilt with many circles appliqued. (not sure of the exact design yet, but I want circles).

Does anyone have any thoughts on how the product used to iron the appliqued piece affects the final quilt?

bj 05-02-2011 05:53 AM

I've used the lightest weight heat and bond. I liked it ok. I've done a lot of applique' though, so I'm probably not the best source of info on the topic! (O:

quiltingaz 05-02-2011 05:56 AM

Lite Steam-A-Seam2 is what I use. It is lightweight and if you just use it around edges of large pieces you can hardly tell it is there.

Darlene 05-02-2011 05:57 AM

I have used both and prefer the Wonderunder.

ckcowl 05-02-2011 06:02 AM

i use heat n bond lite, steam a seam lite and wonder under...
regular heat n bond and steam a seam are (no-sew) products - the lite versions are for sewing projects- not as stiff- easier to get a needle through- less likely to gum up needle. wonder under from pellon has been around the longest of the paper backed fusables...
all of them work pretty well- there are always instances when one works better than another- i recommend picking them up on sale and trying them all- then you can decide what you like- and what works best for you...
one thing about paper back fusables- none of them work real well on batik's (because of the wax in the fabrics) all will work best on pre-washed fabrics...sometimes the sizing or other chemicals will keep the fusable from adhering well.

CarrieAnne 05-02-2011 06:12 AM

My favorite is the Heat and Bond lite.

ghostrider 05-02-2011 06:41 AM

I have to disagree with ckcowl on the batik statement. In my experience, batiks are the best possible fabrics to fuse since the tight weave practically guarantees no fraying of the edges. All fusibles require pre-washing the fabrics in order to adhere properly.

I use Wonder Under (Pellon 805) after having tried Heat'n'Bond and Steam-a-Seam regular and lite, and have never had any problems at all with it. I do fabric collage art quilts and can still hand embroider through 6 layers of fabric and 5 layers of Wonder Under without any strain.

If you want to go with a paperless web, try MistyFuse. It's the lightest weight fusible currently available.

clem55 05-02-2011 06:43 AM

My preferred way is to use a very lightweight interfacing , stays very soft. It is made by Pellon. I iron it to my fabric, trace and cut out appliques, then add a touch of fabric glue sick around the edges to hole in place for sewing. Of course, this is for raw edge applique! But I think it would work on turned also.

amma 05-02-2011 07:16 AM

I have used them all, as long as they are "light" and have not had any problems with any of them :D:D:D

donnajean 05-02-2011 07:21 AM

Me too!

Originally Posted by quiltingaz
Lite Steam-A-Seam2 is what I use. It is lightweight and if you just use it around edges of large pieces you can hardly tell it is there.