Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Heat & Bond vs wonderunder vs ?

Hi Everyone,
    I need some expert advice....

I'm wondering what y'all use for applique and how you like it.

For the first time, I used Heat & Bond to applique fun things to the outside of a playhouse for my niece.
    It worked well, but it's a little thick.
    And, I'm not sure how it will wash.

My next project (or one of my next projects) will be a quilt with many circles appliqued. (not sure of the exact design yet, but I want circles).

Does anyone have any thoughts on how the product used to iron the appliqued piece affects the final quilt?

bj
    I've used the lightest weight heat and bond. I liked it ok. I've done a lot of applique' though, so I'm probably not the best source of info on the topic! (O:

Lite Steam-A-Seam2 is what I use. It is lightweight and if you just use it around edges of large pieces you can hardly tell it is there.

I have used both and prefer the Wonderunder.

Blog Entries
    i use heat n bond lite, steam a seam lite and wonder under...
    regular heat n bond and steam a seam are (no-sew) products - the lite versions are for sewing projects- not as stiff- easier to get a needle through- less likely to gum up needle. wonder under from pellon has been around the longest of the paper backed fusables...
    all of them work pretty well- there are always instances when one works better than another- i recommend picking them up on sale and trying them all- then you can decide what you like- and what works best for you...
    one thing about paper back fusables- none of them work real well on batik's (because of the wax in the fabrics) all will work best on pre-washed fabrics...sometimes the sizing or other chemicals will keep the fusable from adhering well.

My favorite is the Heat and Bond lite.

I have to disagree with ckcowl on the batik statement. In my experience, batiks are the best possible fabrics to fuse since the tight weave practically guarantees no fraying of the edges. All fusibles require pre-washing the fabrics in order to adhere properly.

I use Wonder Under (Pellon 805) after having tried Heat'n'Bond and Steam-a-Seam regular and lite, and have never had any problems at all with it. I do fabric collage art quilts and can still hand embroider through 6 layers of fabric and 5 layers of Wonder Under without any strain.

If you want to go with a paperless web, try MistyFuse. It's the lightest weight fusible currently available.

Blog Entries
    My preferred way is to use a very lightweight interfacing , stays very soft. It is made by Pellon. I iron it to my fabric, trace and cut out appliques, then add a touch of fabric glue sick around the edges to hole in place for sewing. Of course, this is for raw edge applique! But I think it would work on turned also.

Blog Entries
    I have used them all, as long as they are "light" and have not had any problems with any of them :D:D:D

Me too!

Quote Originally Posted by quiltingaz
    Lite Steam-A-Seam2 is what I use. It is lightweight and if you just use it around edges of large pieces you can hardly tell it is there.

i prefer wonderunder for fusing and when possible i use misty fuse.

? where do you get your Misty fuse and Wonderunder I've never seen or heard of them here in my area. 8-)

I also tried most, but stuck with pellons lightest fusible. Works the best for me and it's priced so much better than the others.

I bought 5 yards of Heat N Bond Lite from eBay for $18.77. (free shipping.) If you want the link let me know. I couldn't find it here in small town, USA so I just ordered some! I don't know if it was a good deal or not but at least now I have some.

We use Wonder-under for every applique that we do, and we a lot of applique. I highly recommend it.

Lanny

Blog Entries
    I just recently used Heat N Bond Lite for the first time.
    I really like it more than the Wonder Under that I used before.

I use all different type heat bonds depending on what I am sewing with it and the material I am using. I made a big mistake by using heavy heat bond on some thinner fabric as I needed it to be very stiff and my iron was a mess!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by icon17
    ? where do you get your Misty fuse and Wonderunder I've never seen or heard of them here in my area. 8-)
    JoAnn's definitely has Wonder Under, it's with the interfacings and you can use a 40% coupon for it. It also goes on sale sometimes.

Your comment about the Heat and Bond is a good testament to what it is - thicker. So use that when you need a thick strong fusible webbing and use the others when you need something lighter.

Steam a Seam 2 is lighter than Steam a Seam. Both are "re-positionable", which is a really nice feature. I love Wonder Under for machine applique because it keeps the fabrics together while I stitch around.

Both Steam a Seam products have paper on both sides, Wonder Under has paper on one side and Misty Fuse doesn't have any paper. I have not used Heat and Bond.

Great question! :thumbup:

I have always used wonder under and when my quilts aren't still and wash very well. I used wonder under on the
    T-shirts I made for my g-sons yesterday and they aren't stiff either.

bj
    Quote Originally Posted by bj
    I've used the lightest weight heat and bond. I liked it ok. I've done a lot of applique' though, so I'm probably not the best source of info on the topic! (O:
    Sorry...I didn't proofread very well. I have NOT done a lot of applique'. Only 3 blocks so far. :-D :-D

I like Wonder Under much better than Heat and Bond. I have yet to find the heat and bond lite to use. Wonder Under doesn't gum up my needle when appliquing. Heat and Bond has gummed up my needle bad enough that I thought my machine was tore up.

Quote Originally Posted by icon17
    i buy wonderunder from joann online by the bolt with a 50% coupon and i buy misty fuse from amazon, 10 yards at a time - here's a link

http://www.amazon.com/Mistyfuse-Mist.../dp/B000PFPSJI

I use wonderuner because its cheap, like me! :) Its not stiff after being washed, I pretty much forget I even used it!

Blog Entries
    I use the lightest fusible web for machine applique, and I always cut the center of the shape out of the fusible after tracing it so that the quilt top doesn't get stiff from the fusible. It is sold off of bolts here at our larger fabric stores.

WOW! I'm overwhelmed by the response and the great ideas, everyone.
    I knew this was the forum for my question!

Looks like wonder-under is the way to go - I'm guessing the 805 is the lightest, but I think I'm going to find out, once I get to joann's!

ps. jljack, that's a beautiful machine as your avatar - what kind is it? and, do you sew on it?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast