Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Height of your cutting table? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/height-your-cutting-table-t58720.html)

QuiltingGrannie 08-10-2010 07:29 AM

Question for all -

How tall is the table you use to cut your fabric? How tall should it be?

We just got a new one at work and it is too low! Not good for my back!!! The mgrs keep telling me there is nothing they can do to raise it up and still keep it safe.
I say there is and so does others that I've talked to. We sell bed risers that go under the legs of beds - why can't they use that? If it's safe to sleep on I'm sure it's safe for cutting fabric on.

Also our new table has the marking yard stick insert about 5 inches from the edge. The former one was only a 1 1/2 inches from the edge.
Between the two by the end of a shift my back is in a lot of pain and it has been out of alignment for 3 weeks now as it is.

Anyway - how tall is your table?

Spudgm 08-10-2010 07:33 AM

Mine is 38" and perfect for me. I don't have to bend over any more to cut!

kathy 08-10-2010 07:36 AM

my table is 2 kitchen cabinets with plywood on top, perfect.

kathy 08-10-2010 07:37 AM

if they don't want to use bed risers they could use 2X4s or even concrete blocks, they just don't want to get along nicely :cry:

Lori S 08-10-2010 07:39 AM

Mine is 32 inches , but I am 5ft. 2 in. tall. It is perfect for my height. Just high enough so I am not bending.
You may want to look at some fabric stores and see how high their cutting tables are and see how that hieght would work for you.
Now if I could just lower my kitchen counter tops and inch or two!!

Theresa 08-10-2010 07:40 AM

Although I'm no expert, I suspect it could very well depend on the height of each individual using it. The taller we are the more we bend over to do the job. Making the cutting table higher may not work for other employees. Now, what to do??? (Your employer may want to be careful about causing back injury to you.)

momymom 08-10-2010 07:42 AM

mine is a banquet table, to short for me, and I'm 4' 11"! Hurts my back if I cut for long periods of time.
Nice to see you back Grannie, hope you're feeling better

Dora Taggart 08-10-2010 07:43 AM

I think the height of your cutting table should be the height that you are comfortable with...not everyone is the same height and there fore your table should be adjust to be whats comfortable for you..If on the other hand you just an employee you will just have to go with the flow of whats there for you to use.

KathyAire 08-10-2010 07:54 AM

My cutting table is 36". It is on the bed risers. I'm 5'5" and the table is perfect for me. I have two other tables in my sewing room and both of them are on bed risers, as well. I have never had a problem with them not being secure. IN fact, my sewing table is on two sets of bed risers in order for it to be the height I want it. I sew standing up. Someone on another quilting forum introduced me to sewing standing up. My feet swell up when I sit too much. Standing has proved to be ideal for me.

QuiltingGrannie 08-10-2010 07:54 AM

All of us that work there and use the table are tall. Even when I was talking with some of the customers and some were shorter than me, they said it was way to short for them!

Yes, they do NOT want to injure my back anymore than it is! The other lady that works there has bad knees and I don't see that it is good for her either.

We will see IF they made any changes since Sun. I doubt it.

Just when my back is starting to behave and feel better!

Still not sleeping more than 4 hours at a time, but at least it's some sleep.