Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Height of your cutting table? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/height-your-cutting-table-t58720.html)

quiltinghere 08-10-2010 10:44 AM

Guessing it's 36" tall - regular kitchen countertop height.

QuiltingGrannie 08-10-2010 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by kristen0112
I unfortunately have to use my kitchen table its too low. I would love to have something about the height of my kitchen counters.

The managers should be able to raise the cutting table using concrete blocks or a riser of some sort. The question is do you work for a chain fabric store or an independent store. If you work for a chain the company usually has standards set for uniformity and appearances to the public. If you managers are saying there is nothing they can do that rising it is dangerous that would be my guess for their responses to you and your co-workers. They would probably get in trouble from corporate if they made changes.

I work for Walmart! 'nuff said????

sandybeach 08-10-2010 10:58 AM

I have heard that the proper height is three inches below your elbow. So bend your elbow and measure three inches below that point.

Favorite Fabrics 08-10-2010 11:29 AM

We have two kinds of cutting tables in our shop. One is 37" high (being short, I prefer that one). The other is actually made from a plywood sheet that's set on top of four identical wide 3-drawer file cabinets, and it's 40" high. Only the taller of us gravitate toward that one.

Theresa 08-10-2010 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by sandybeach
I have heard that the proper height is three inches below your elbow. So bend your elbow and measure three inches below that point.

Will keep this bit of information in mind! Thanks!

magpie 08-10-2010 02:03 PM

Where I work they use lenghts of metal pipe on each table leg to raise them. They can be easily removed to accomodate others.

KarenSimon 08-10-2010 02:44 PM

Somewhere I saw a formula for determining the height of your cutting table according you height. I'll look to see if I can find it.

PuffinGin 08-10-2010 02:59 PM

Mine is 32 1/2 inches high. I have a 6ft x 30" folding Samsonite table elevated 3 inches by placing a decorative bricks under each leg. Perfect for my 5 ft 4 1/2 inch height.

Pepita 08-10-2010 03:17 PM

I saw somewhere that if you are using a banquet table, you could use PVC pipes that are a bit bigger than the table leg. You cut the PVC pipes however many inches your table is too short, and then use them as leg extensions. (like Spudgm) The PVC pipes can be spray painted so that it blends in to the color of the legs.

clem55 08-10-2010 03:53 PM

I am 5'7" ( just about) When I had tops made for my kitchen cabinets, they were made 1 1/2 inches thicker than normal counter height. I have an island type divider counter that is 30 inches wide and about 57 inches long. I do my cutting on that( after removing the computer and junk!!LOL)