Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   helix quilt opinions, please (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/helix-quilt-opinions-please-t280524.html)

bearisgray 07-18-2016 05:32 AM

The color placement you have is attractive as is -

I was just trying to make more work for you! ;)

zozee 07-18-2016 04:00 PM

Naturally the decisions are split about 50/50 here! LOL Decisions, decisions! This is one time (among MANY) that I wish I had EQ7 so I could move things around on the screen instead of on my design wall. I like BOTH together and separate styles. I go back and forth.

Barb in Louisiana 07-18-2016 08:23 PM

Sometimes you just got to go ahead and as Gibbs would say....Go with your gut! I find if I look at photos of layouts, it really helps me make the decision. Seems that I can see the effect of the entire design better. Plus they are helpful when I need to put the pieces back where I placed them to begin with. No matter what you decide, it is going to be a fabulous quilt. I am really looking forward to seeing your final decision.

Texas_Sue 07-19-2016 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by zozee (Post 7604226)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]554152[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]554153[/ATTACH]

I chose to make a helix design for the quilt for a treasured girl in my life. Her 12th birthday is Aug 19.
I have a few questions and I'd appreciate your input on any or all of them.

1. Which do you like better, the columns separated into 3 or put together?
2. Does it need a border of white or a color?
3. would you move any of the blocks or change something?
3. What would you do for binding?

Thanks for considering.

I like your quilt very much! I really like it in the columns and would probably do a small white border to float the edges of the columns then a narrow colored border and finally maybe piano keys???. You have done an awesome job and I can't wait to see the completed top.

dc989 07-19-2016 05:25 AM

I like separated rows too. I would do a white border with a very narrow yellow sashing before it. For binding I would love to see the yellow or a scrappy binding of all colors. I love your color choices. I have an older woman friend who is a quilter and she would say they feel good together. The pop of yellow is wonderful.

sewbizgirl 07-19-2016 06:15 AM

I like a small seperation between the helixes. When they are touching they start to look like something else to me. I'd do a 2.5" white border and then bind in one of the colors from the quilt. If she's 12 she'd probably love the purple for the binding.

trolleystation 07-19-2016 07:09 AM

This is a wonderful quilt.

AZ Jane 07-19-2016 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by 117becca (Post 7604574)

3. What would you do for binding?
pick one of the fabrics from the quilt. I can visualize any of them, except maybe the yellow one. I like it in the quilt, but not as binding(just my opinion)

just thinking - i did a pieced binding from pieces in a quilt and it would look great, too. It's strip pieced, so it looks more complicated than it really is.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]554173[/ATTACH]

I love pieced binding!!

Bree123 07-19-2016 08:14 AM

1. Which do you like better, the columns separated into 3 or put together?
Slight preference for together, but they'd both look nice.
2. Does it need a border of white or a color?
It would look nice either way. White would be a stop border, so you'd want to keep that small & probably add a 2nd border after it. I agree with those who've recommended some kind of pieced border.
3. would you move any of the blocks or change something?
I might swap the block in the 2nd row far right with the one in the bottom center just to spread out the yellow a bit.
4. What would you do for binding?
It depends what you do for your border. Playing off the helix pattern, I think a narrow stripe cut on the bias would look really nice for this quilt. Sometimes a gingham creates the same effect so your blue & navy gingham might work.

TheCloser 07-19-2016 01:00 PM

Beautiful anyway you do it.