Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   helix quilt opinions, please (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/helix-quilt-opinions-please-t280524.html)

zozee 07-17-2016 05:22 PM

helix quilt opinions, please

2 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]554152[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]554153[/ATTACH]

I chose to make a helix design for the quilt for a treasured girl in my life. Her 12th birthday is Aug 19.
I have a few questions and I'd appreciate your input on any or all of them.

1. Which do you like better, the columns separated into 3 or put together?
2. Does it need a border of white or a color?
3. would you move any of the blocks or change something?
3. What would you do for binding?

Thanks for considering.

bearisgray 07-17-2016 05:32 PM

I like the helixes both was.

If you have enough HST units - you might consider color shading/rainbowing - maybe start with yellow - move to green - then blue - then purple - etc.

I think a narrow band of color for a first border, then more white, then a colored binding for when you get to that point.

quiltingshorttimer 07-17-2016 05:43 PM

I like the helix point touching and then a white border (about 2.5 or 3?) then a narrow band of one of the colors, then a wider white border and would use a binding of all the prints pieced together. Very nice quilt--can't wait to see finished.

Kassaundra 07-17-2016 05:47 PM

I like them separated into columns. It highlights the helix shape better.

zozee 07-17-2016 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 7604229)
I like the helixes both was.

If you have enough HST units - you might consider color shading/rainbowing - maybe start with yellow - move to green - then blue - then purple - etc.

I think a narrow band of color for a first border, then more white, then a colored binding for when you get to that point.

----------
Bear, I have plenty of fabric to make more HST. Hadn't thought about rainbowing. To be honest, it took me a good while to wrap my brain around the design, where to put each block, which direction. I think I've got it now, though:)

DOTTYMO 07-18-2016 12:08 AM

I like the last photo of double helixes.

ManiacQuilter2 07-18-2016 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by Kassaundra (Post 7604238)
I like them separated into columns. It highlights the helix shape better.

I agree. I would put a 1" finished white sashing between the rows. Interesting modern twist on the HSTs.

QuiltnNan 07-18-2016 01:38 AM

I like the helixes separated into columns.

117becca 07-18-2016 04:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
1. Which do you like better, the columns separated into 3 or put together?
I like it all as one quilt, no separation. I like being able to look at it and seeing how many different patterns i can see.

2. Does it need a border of white or a color?
I would take whatever the white/solid color is and add a 1-2 inch sashing to frame it out, and then you can add a border using a fabric from the helixes. You could even make another pieced border - piano key??? This is where google is my friend - i may google "borders" or "helix quilts" to see what others have done.

You can also just use a white the same width as the size of the hst block and then bind it.

3. would you move any of the blocks or change something?
No - i think it looks great - The yellow is the color i see first, and it's spread through out equi-distant. Looks great!!

3. What would you do for binding?
pick one of the fabrics from the quilt. I can visualize any of them, except maybe the yellow one. I like it in the quilt, but not as binding(just my opinion)

just thinking - i did a pieced binding from pieces in a quilt and it would look great, too. It's strip pieced, so it looks more complicated than it really is.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]554173[/ATTACH]

Barb in Louisiana 07-18-2016 05:02 AM

I really like your placement of the squares. I agree with 117becca, except I would do some solid borders because the eye needs a place to rest. The center is perfect like you have it in the 2 column. I would make it so that the Helix pattern covers the top of the bed, and then border it the rest of the way. IMO...although color shading might add to the quilt, it could drive you nuts and this quilt really doesn't need it to be spectacular.

Edited to add: I looked up the pattern and really like how modern it looks with just the 2 rows on it and floated on the background with no borders. https://patternspot.com/patterns/qui...-quilt-pattern

I think I would make it just like the pattern shows. I am finding that the younger kids (that I know) want quilts that don't look old-timey. This quilt could never called old.....lol If you float the two rows, then put a final border of piano keys, it would probably look good too. A lot of decisions for you to make.