Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help!!!!!!!!!!!!1 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-1-a-t70407.html)

irenecarter 10-15-2010 11:27 PM

I finished a quilt top for one of my five children and still have 4 to go. The problem is, I put it on the bed (king size) and it looks ok, but when I try to fold it up it's not square. I asked some ladies at the quilting guild what I should do and got different answers, but one said that if it looked ok on the bed to just leave it. To fix it I will have to take it completely apart since I tried to square up the blocks not realizing that doing so wasn't right since they aren't square to start with. If you think I need to post a picture I will, but I'm ashamed that I made such a gruesome mistake.
I've been sewing for over fifty years but this is the first quilt top that I have finished, although I have two others started. I didn't have a pattern and thought that a log cabin would be so easy since it looked like that it was just a matter of sewing strips on each side. I didn't start out with the right size square, and they turned out to be longer then they were wide, and when I turned them to make the pattern that I wanted, well you see my predicament. Yes, the seams match and the pattern looks good on the bed, but it's not square. So what would you do. I sure hate to take it all apart and start over since it's so close to Xmas and I have so much to do. Any suggestions on how to make this work?

tooMuchFabric 10-16-2010 12:01 AM

Gruesome mistakes find a home most anywhere at one time or another!

Hmmm, does it REALLY have to be square?? Can't it be longer than it is wide, such that they can flip the top up over the pillows??

I'm not sure you need to feel too bad. Think about it, and see if it's ok as it is somehow. Afterall, (as posted below!) you are the ONLY one who knows what it is "supposed" to look like.

Another thought, but don't take it too seriously, If this really bothers you, can you just add another border on the "short" sides, maybe the same color as your outer borders so it won't scream at you, to make it more square if you think it needs to be?

CoventryUK 10-16-2010 12:10 AM

No Quilt Police here!! If it looks ok on the bed then thats fine! There are no mistakes in quilting just different ways of interpretation!!!!! Leave it and just sit back and smile at the compliments!!!!

zennia 10-16-2010 12:51 AM

I always say "leave well enough alone".

patricej 10-16-2010 01:24 AM

i'm with the others. you made the quilt to look good on a bed - not so it would look good folded up and stuffed in a drawer.

it looks good on a bed. :thumbup:

i'd call it mission accomplished and be proud of it. ;-)

campion 10-16-2010 01:59 AM

As others have told me "There is only you will know of any so called faults and if it looks good on the bed---well that's ok" Be happy with it,bet it's lovely

sawsan 10-16-2010 02:08 AM

Why must be square, rectangle is fine also

gaigai 10-16-2010 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
i'm with the others. you made the quilt to look good on a bed - not so it would look good folded up and stuffed in a drawer.

What she said!!!!

CompulsiveQuilter 10-16-2010 02:15 AM

Just add a border to the short sides and call it "finished." They will appreciate ANYTHING you make for them!

quiltmaker 10-16-2010 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ

Absolutely true.....don't worry about the small stuff!