Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Help!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Blog Entries
    I finished a quilt top for one of my five children and still have 4 to go. The problem is, I put it on the bed (king size) and it looks ok, but when I try to fold it up it's not square. I asked some ladies at the quilting guild what I should do and got different answers, but one said that if it looked ok on the bed to just leave it. To fix it I will have to take it completely apart since I tried to square up the blocks not realizing that doing so wasn't right since they aren't square to start with. If you think I need to post a picture I will, but I'm ashamed that I made such a gruesome mistake.
    I've been sewing for over fifty years but this is the first quilt top that I have finished, although I have two others started. I didn't have a pattern and thought that a log cabin would be so easy since it looked like that it was just a matter of sewing strips on each side. I didn't start out with the right size square, and they turned out to be longer then they were wide, and when I turned them to make the pattern that I wanted, well you see my predicament. Yes, the seams match and the pattern looks good on the bed, but it's not square. So what would you do. I sure hate to take it all apart and start over since it's so close to Xmas and I have so much to do. Any suggestions on how to make this work?

Blog Entries
    Gruesome mistakes find a home most anywhere at one time or another!

Hmmm, does it REALLY have to be square?? Can't it be longer than it is wide, such that they can flip the top up over the pillows??

I'm not sure you need to feel too bad. Think about it, and see if it's ok as it is somehow. Afterall, (as posted below!) you are the ONLY one who knows what it is "supposed" to look like.

Another thought, but don't take it too seriously, If this really bothers you, can you just add another border on the "short" sides, maybe the same color as your outer borders so it won't scream at you, to make it more square if you think it needs to be?

No Quilt Police here!! If it looks ok on the bed then thats fine! There are no mistakes in quilting just different ways of interpretation!!!!! Leave it and just sit back and smile at the compliments!!!!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I always say "leave well enough alone".

Blog Entries
    i'm with the others. you made the quilt to look good on a bed - not so it would look good folded up and stuffed in a drawer.

it looks good on a bed. :thumbup:

i'd call it mission accomplished and be proud of it. ;-)

Blog Entries
    As others have told me "There is only you will know of any so called faults and if it looks good on the bed---well that's ok" Be happy with it,bet it's lovely

Blog Entries
    Why must be square, rectangle is fine also

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PatriceJ
    i'm with the others. you made the quilt to look good on a bed - not so it would look good folded up and stuffed in a drawer.

What she said!!!!

Senior Member CompulsiveQuilter's Avatar
    Just add a border to the short sides and call it "finished." They will appreciate ANYTHING you make for them!

Quote Originally Posted by PatriceJ

Absolutely true.....don't worry about the small stuff!

Blog Entries
    Most of us have made mistakes in quilting.I use everything as a learning experience.We all have to learn & sounds to me as if the quilt you made is fine.Remember,when quilted, it will look better.I'm sure your kids will love anything
    "made by Mom".

Congratulations! You made your first quilt: small pieces of fabric, sewed together in a pretty pattern, sandwiched with other fabric and batting to form a beautiful and warm cover for your child, all done with love in your heart. So what if it's not perfect! It will be loved and cherished.
    Enjoy your new quilting hobby!
    (((((hugs)))))

Aw, the beauty in the quilt is that its a HOMEMADE gift of LOVE! It doesnt have to be perfect, you made it, and I am sure your kids will love your quilts, perfect or not!
    With each quilt you will get better!!!!!!!!!

Congratulate yourself on completing your first quilt. Not many people are able to do that. The first anything is always a learning project. You were building your skills and now you know how to make the next one even better. If none of this makes you feel good about your accomplishment, remember what my daughter always tells me "Mom, nobody but you will even notice. They will be too busy sleeping under their new quilt"

Blog Entries
    I have made several quilts and not all of them were square. I gave them to family and friends and not one of them remarked about them not being square. They loved the fact that it was made with love. I happen to like them long enought o cover the pillows and just wide enough for the bed. RECTANGLE shapes work great.

Are you saying it is rectangle instead of square, or are you saying it is lopsided?

First, how far out of square is it? Have you quilted it yet? If it looks good on the bed, I would not worry about it. If you haven't quilted it yet, consider putting a border on it.

No matter how hard I try, mine are rarely perfectly squared. I put a border on all my quilts, usually about an inch wider than I really want it to be. Then once quilted I can "square up" the finished top. If the border is a tad narrower in one place it doesn't show and when the quilt is folded it is nice and square. Please bear in mind, I do not make show quilts and intend for mine to be used.

Power Poster
    You said the seams line up and it looks good on the bed.

Sounds good to me!
    :)

Blog Entries
    I doubt that it will be a problem. but you could "block" it if you want. you'd have to soak it and spin the water out, remove the quilt and then lay it out flat somewhere. if outside, lay a sheet down first. then measure across it and pull it to straighten. if you have a large ruler, use that in the corners.
    usually you check corners before binding. next time!

Banned
    Why must it be square? If your blocks are not square but more rectangle then it won't be square in the finish. Does it fit the bed? Then it is ok to me.

Blog Entries
    I'd leave that baby just the way it is and love it! A job well done is a job well done and no 2 quilts 'quilt' the same. Sounds like you took a lemon and made lemonade. Think of all the tips and tricks you now have in your memory basket. Good job!

I always go back to my favorite statement ~ Is it going to be judged or Loved? Your kids are going to LOVE having something made by your hands. I'm not so sure they're going to pick apart the minor flaws. Keep going! And please don't be so hard on yourself. Your doing a great job! YOU FINISHED YOUR FIRST QUILT! Have a Party!! =)

I've never made a square quilt. I don't know any beds or any people who are as wide as they are long (although it is a constant worry for some of us). Rectangles are good.

Congrats on your first full quilt!

Blog Entries
    Most useful quilts are not square, I don't think.
    Comforters are usually square, but I like a quilt to be rectangular for a bed so I can flip the top up over the pillows.

But my wallhangings and just-for-fun quilts afre, indeed, usually square noq you mention it.

Minis are usually rectangular if they are intended to mimic a real bedquilt.

That's just me, of course.

Blog Entries
    If I got a rectangular quilt I'd use it with the longer side widthways on the bed- that way either of us can roll over with it hooked on our shoulder without leaving the other one out in the cold. Call it a happy marriage quilt!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast