Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 78

Thread: Thangles

  1. #1
    Super Member Evelynquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Ct.
    Posts
    4,057
    Has anyone used these to make the half square blocks...just bought a pattern that calls for many 1.50 inch .....triangles...thought this might be the way to go...never used thangles...any help would be appreciated...Evelyn

  2. #2
    Super Member PurplePassion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Southern MN
    Posts
    2,622
    I have used them , I like them. and you don't have to trim your blocks, they come out exact.

  3. #3
    Super Member thequilterslink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    NW PA
    Posts
    2,682
    I like thangles too, but not if i have to make too many, then i make up a grid and do it that way

  4. #4
    Senior Member Lizzytish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Eastern USA
    Posts
    677
    I have used thangles on a few of my quilts this is the latest one.
    They is no more marking of lines to make half triangles. I have seen tutorials for this quilt made without thangles and they are so many more steps an maneuvers to make.
    Don't worry and have fun with it.

    Made with Thangles
    Name:  Attachment-108933.jpe
Views: 229
Size:  64.2 KB

  5. #5
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Elmira, NY
    Posts
    6,226
    Beautiful quilt! I love the colors!

  6. #6
    Super Member clem55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Lexington,Kentucky
    Posts
    6,200
    Blog Entries
    6
    Love your quilt, and the colors are beautiful!

  7. #7
    Super Member sewcrafty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    3,958
    Instead of buying the thangles, here's a site where you can print them off yourself.

    http://www.blockcentral.com/a-halfsq...glepaper.shtml

  8. #8
    Super Member PurplePassion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Southern MN
    Posts
    2,622
    Quote Originally Posted by sewcrafty
    Instead of buying the thangles, here's a site where you can print them off yourself.

    http://www.blockcentral.com/a-halfsq...glepaper.shtml
    But is this worth the ink , paper, and time to cut the paper strips apart?

  9. #9
    Senior Member Lizzytish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Eastern USA
    Posts
    677
    Quote Originally Posted by sewcrafty
    Instead of buying the thangles, here's a site where you can print them off yourself.

    http://www.blockcentral.com/a-halfsq...glepaper.shtml
    Thanks for the link I will use this.

  10. #10
    Super Member RkayD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    1,841
    Block Central is a gold mine of info..thanks for posting the link. I had forgotten about it. =)

  11. #11
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    SW Colorado
    Posts
    1,116
    I have used them and I like them,

  12. #12
    Super Member Scissor Queen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwest Kansas
    Posts
    4,829
    Quote Originally Posted by betc
    I have used thangles on a few of my quilts this is the latest one.
    They is no more marking of lines to make half triangles. I have seen tutorials for this quilt made without thangles and they are so many more steps an maneuvers to make.
    Don't worry and have fun with it.
    I'll just chime in and say I'm working on that same quilt and I tossed the Thangles early on. I hated them. I have a tool called a Gizmo to mark the rectangles with and they came out just as accurate as the Thangles but there's no paper to tear off later.

    I took a class from Sally Schneider and that's where I got the Gizmo. Here's the web page about it, http://sallyschneider.com/gizmo.htm

  13. #13
    Senior Member Lizzytish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Eastern USA
    Posts
    677
    I have one of those to but it is not called a gizmo it is from Fons and Porter does the same thing. I like to use this tool also.

    Lots of different ways of doing things likes and dislikes.

  14. #14
    Super Member Scissor Queen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwest Kansas
    Posts
    4,829
    Quote Originally Posted by betc
    I have one of those to but it is not called a gizmo it is from Fons and Porter does the same thing. I like to use this tool also.

    Lots of different ways of doing things likes and dislikes.
    Yup. If you hate marking lines then the paper half square triangle methods would work for you. If you hate tearing off paper then the marking methods would work for you. And there's more than one paper method and more than one marking method!

  15. #15
    Super Member tjradj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,329
    Blog Entries
    1
    Have you tried the "make 4 at a time" method?
    Take a square of each fabric and place them right sides together. Sew all four edges at 1/4" (don't leave an opening)
    Then cut them corner to corner, both ways. Presto - 4 HST's!
    I don't know the math for the size for a 1 1/2" HST, but it should be easy enough to fudge. Make 4 and put them together , then measure the size of the square.

  16. #16
    Senior Member scrapykate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    728
    I've used Thangles and do like them. Iron and fold the paper before pulling paper apart makes it easier. I also sew a hair towards the cut line so the square is a touch bigger. Good luck
    Kate

  17. #17
    Power Poster amma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Out searching for some sunshine :-)
    Posts
    59,092
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by tjradj
    Have you tried the "make 4 at a time" method?
    Take a square of each fabric and place them right sides together. Sew all four edges at 1/4" (don't leave an opening)
    Then cut them corner to corner, both ways. Presto - 4 HST's!
    I don't know the math for the size for a 1 1/2" HST, but it should be easy enough to fudge. Make 4 and put them together , then measure the size of the square.
    I belive Missouri quilt company has a youtube video on this method :D:D:D

  18. #18
    Power Poster BellaBoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Front row
    Posts
    14,661
    Blog Entries
    2
    I bought a roll of the Tiger Tape HST tape. It is great and the piece you cut is reusable many times. http://webstore.quiltropolis.net/sto...3&Item_ID=1268

  19. #19
    Super Member koko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Adirondacks
    Posts
    1,024
    I use Thangles and love them because for me they really come out very accurate. My other methods just didn't work as well for me but as someone said use whatever works best for you.

  20. #20
    Super Member Shorebird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Winchester, VA
    Posts
    1,480
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Evelynquilts
    Has anyone used these to make the half square blocks...just bought a pattern that calls for many 1.50 inch .....triangles...thought this might be the way to go...never used thangles...any help would be appreciated...Evelyn
    Personally, I prefer Ta Da - which is a super light weight fusible interfacing (read that NO PINS, stays on fabric, adds no bulk, but does stabilize a bit) that comes in various sizes including the 1.5" finised HSTs......You can order tjem on line, and I believe they are worth every penny!! You do not have the distortion that comes with pinning paper onto your fabric, and these (Ta Das) do not dull your needles, unlike Thangles and other paper aids. Just my 5 cents worth......

  21. #21
    Senior Member rdupuis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Yellville Arkansas
    Posts
    342
    Blog Entries
    2
    Good Morning;
    I have used them and had no problems. What is it that you don't understandhow to do? Didn't you get instructions with the package? If not, I will try to help you.
    Start by cutting strips of fabric as wide as your Trangles pieces. Take two cut strips of fabric of your choosing and put then together , rightside facing each other. I cut my Fabric the same witch all accross to the fold of the fabric. Then I pin the thangles onto the two strips of fabric. Now you will sew on both sides of the center line in each and every block marked on the thangles. After you have finished all of the sewing, you will cut the blocks apart So that you now have blocks of fabric with the pieces of paper. with two stitched lines on both of a unstitched line. Then you will cut on the line between the two sewing lines. (That was the center line that you didn't sew on at the beganning) .After cutting the thrangles you will now have half triangles. Press open your seams and you will have your finished two pieced block. I hope that was clear enough to be of help to you. Have fun with your THANGLES.
    Dick

  22. #22
    Super Member Babs194068's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    5,316
    Great quilt. I bought Thangles about 3 years ago I still haven't tried them.

  23. #23
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    5,837
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    Quote Originally Posted by betc
    I have used thangles on a few of my quilts this is the latest one.
    They is no more marking of lines to make half triangles. I have seen tutorials for this quilt made without thangles and they are so many more steps an maneuvers to make.
    Don't worry and have fun with it.
    I'll just chime in and say I'm working on that same quilt and I tossed the Thangles early on. I hated them. I have a tool called a Gizmo to mark the rectangles with and they came out just as accurate as the Thangles but there's no paper to tear off later.

    I took a class from Sally Schneider and that's where I got the Gizmo. Here's the web page about it, http://sallyschneider.com/gizmo.htm
    First time i have seen this notion! thanks for sharing!
    i have used Thangles, no problems with them.

    "Milky Way" thangles
    Name:  Attachment-99828.bmp
Views: 70
Size:  468.3 KB

  24. #24
    Senior Member Moon Holiday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Connecticut River, northern NH
    Posts
    921
    Yes, I've used Thangles to make 1-inch finished blocks of half-square triangles for a border on a wallhanging. If I felt another project would be enhanced by them, I'd use them again.

  25. #25
    CountryStitching's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    North Georgia
    Posts
    200
    I've used them and love them ;)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.