Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Thangles

Has anyone used these to make the half square blocks...just bought a pattern that calls for many 1.50 inch .....triangles...thought this might be the way to go...never used thangles...any help would be appreciated...Evelyn

I have used them , I like them. and you don't have to trim your blocks, they come out exact.

I like thangles too, but not if i have to make too many, then i make up a grid and do it that way

I have used thangles on a few of my quilts this is the latest one.
    They is no more marking of lines to make half triangles. I have seen tutorials for this quilt made without thangles and they are so many more steps an maneuvers to make.
    Don't worry and have fun with it.

Made with Thangles
    Name:  Attachment-108933.jpe
Views: 229
Size:  64.2 KB

Beautiful quilt! I love the colors!

Blog Entries
    Love your quilt, and the colors are beautiful!

Instead of buying the thangles, here's a site where you can print them off yourself.

http://www.blockcentral.com/a-halfsq...glepaper.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by sewcrafty
    Instead of buying the thangles, here's a site where you can print them off yourself.

But is this worth the ink , paper, and time to cut the paper strips apart?

Quote Originally Posted by sewcrafty

Thanks for the link I will use this.

Block Central is a gold mine of info..thanks for posting the link. I had forgotten about it. =)

I have used them and I like them,

Quote Originally Posted by betc
    They is no more marking of lines to make half triangles. I have seen tutorials for this quilt made without thangles and they are so many more steps an maneuvers to make.
    I'll just chime in and say I'm working on that same quilt and I tossed the Thangles early on. I hated them. I have a tool called a Gizmo to mark the rectangles with and they came out just as accurate as the Thangles but there's no paper to tear off later.

I took a class from Sally Schneider and that's where I got the Gizmo. Here's the web page about it, http://sallyschneider.com/gizmo.htm

I have one of those to but it is not called a gizmo it is from Fons and Porter does the same thing. I like to use this tool also.

Lots of different ways of doing things likes and dislikes.

I have one of those to but it is not called a gizmo it is from Fons and Porter does the same thing. I like to use this tool also.

Lots of different ways of doing things likes and dislikes.
    Yup. If you hate marking lines then the paper half square triangle methods would work for you. If you hate tearing off paper then the marking methods would work for you. And there's more than one paper method and more than one marking method!

Blog Entries
    Have you tried the "make 4 at a time" method?
    Take a square of each fabric and place them right sides together. Sew all four edges at 1/4" (don't leave an opening)
    Then cut them corner to corner, both ways. Presto - 4 HST's!
    I don't know the math for the size for a 1 1/2" HST, but it should be easy enough to fudge. Make 4 and put them together , then measure the size of the square.

I've used Thangles and do like them. Iron and fold the paper before pulling paper apart makes it easier. I also sew a hair towards the cut line so the square is a touch bigger. Good luck
    Kate

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tjradj
    Have you tried the "make 4 at a time" method?
    Take a square of each fabric and place them right sides together. Sew all four edges at 1/4" (don't leave an opening)
    Then cut them corner to corner, both ways. Presto - 4 HST's!
    I don't know the math for the size for a 1 1/2" HST, but it should be easy enough to fudge. Make 4 and put them together , then measure the size of the square.
    I belive Missouri quilt company has a youtube video on this method :D:D:D

Blog Entries
    I bought a roll of the Tiger Tape HST tape. It is great and the piece you cut is reusable many times. http://webstore.quiltropolis.net/sto...3&Item_ID=1268

I use Thangles and love them because for me they really come out very accurate. My other methods just didn't work as well for me but as someone said use whatever works best for you.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Evelynquilts
    Has anyone used these to make the half square blocks...just bought a pattern that calls for many 1.50 inch .....triangles...thought this might be the way to go...never used thangles...any help would be appreciated...Evelyn
    Personally, I prefer Ta Da - which is a super light weight fusible interfacing (read that NO PINS, stays on fabric, adds no bulk, but does stabilize a bit) that comes in various sizes including the 1.5" finised HSTs......You can order tjem on line, and I believe they are worth every penny!! You do not have the distortion that comes with pinning paper onto your fabric, and these (Ta Das) do not dull your needles, unlike Thangles and other paper aids. Just my 5 cents worth......

Blog Entries
    Good Morning;
    I have used them and had no problems. What is it that you don't understandhow to do? Didn't you get instructions with the package? If not, I will try to help you.
    Start by cutting strips of fabric as wide as your Trangles pieces. Take two cut strips of fabric of your choosing and put then together , rightside facing each other. I cut my Fabric the same witch all accross to the fold of the fabric. Then I pin the thangles onto the two strips of fabric. Now you will sew on both sides of the center line in each and every block marked on the thangles. After you have finished all of the sewing, you will cut the blocks apart So that you now have blocks of fabric with the pieces of paper. with two stitched lines on both of a unstitched line. Then you will cut on the line between the two sewing lines. (That was the center line that you didn't sew on at the beganning) .After cutting the thrangles you will now have half triangles. Press open your seams and you will have your finished two pieced block. I hope that was clear enough to be of help to you. Have fun with your THANGLES.
    Dick

Great quilt. I bought Thangles about 3 years ago I still haven't tried them.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    I'll just chime in and say I'm working on that same quilt and I tossed the Thangles early on. I hated them. I have a tool called a Gizmo to mark the rectangles with and they came out just as accurate as the Thangles but there's no paper to tear off later.

I took a class from Sally Schneider and that's where I got the Gizmo. Here's the web page about it, http://sallyschneider.com/gizmo.htm
    First time i have seen this notion! thanks for sharing!
    i have used Thangles, no problems with them.

"Milky Way" thangles
    Name:  Attachment-99828.bmp
Views: 70
Size:  468.3 KB

Yes, I've used Thangles to make 1-inch finished blocks of half-square triangles for a border on a wallhanging. If I felt another project would be enhanced by them, I'd use them again.

I've used them and love them ;)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast