Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thangles >

Thangles

Thangles

Old 10-18-2010, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by tjradj
Have you tried the "make 4 at a time" method?
Take a square of each fabric and place them right sides together. Sew all four edges at 1/4" (don't leave an opening)
Then cut them corner to corner, both ways. Presto - 4 HST's!
I don't know the math for the size for a 1 1/2" HST, but it should be easy enough to fudge. Make 4 and put them together , then measure the size of the square.
With this method you need to be aware that the edges are now on bias. So be careful and don't stretch. Perhaps using Magic sizing or spray starch will help keep it from stretching.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
Originally Posted by betc
I have used thangles on a few of my quilts this is the latest one.
They is no more marking of lines to make half triangles. I have seen tutorials for this quilt made without thangles and they are so many more steps an maneuvers to make.
Don't worry and have fun with it.
I'll just chime in and say I'm working on that same quilt and I tossed the Thangles early on. I hated them. I have a tool called a Gizmo to mark the rectangles with and they came out just as accurate as the Thangles but there's no paper to tear off later.

That is so cool. I will have to get my a Gizmo
I took a class from Sally Schneider and that's where I got the Gizmo. Here's the web page about it, http://sallyschneider.com/gizmo.htm
Old 10-18-2010, 10:56 PM

Beautiful quilt! I love the colors!
Old 10-19-2010, 03:57 AM

You can also do the large squares on the bias so when you cut diagonally the sides are all with the grain. I made a paper pattern for the size and laid it on for the first square - then the rest are easy with the long ruler and cutter.
Old 10-19-2010, 05:04 AM

I've used Thangles in a buck-a-block program at the LQS, which
is sponsored by Thangles. For 12 blocks using strips fir piecing,they were fine. I can't imagine using them for dozens of Hst's - just too much time lining up and pinning. However, I so like pressing the paper on to keep the shape.

I've not tried the other methods except the ultra easy and free matching two squares, pressing them together and drawing the line. Frankly , the smaller the triangle the less likely I am to draw the line. The other option is to prop your feet up and mark the line on the reverse of all the light square while watching tv, then match them with the dark squares.
Old 10-19-2010, 02:26 PM

Hello. In my opinion there's nothing better than thangles. The steps are different but what could be easier that putting 2 pieces of fabric together, sewing on the dotted line, and cutting on the solid line? You don't have to cut the bunny ears if you don't want to. Until I started using thangles, I hated triangles.
Old 10-19-2010, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by gale
I read about the tada ones and I can't imagine that it doesn't add some bulk. Even the thinnest interfacing adds some bulk. I wish they had a sample that people could try. Even a 2" square would be enough.
Really adds no bulk whatsoever......you would like it.........and I would recommend trying a package...
Old 10-19-2010, 05:37 PM

how do you use Tiger Tape?
Thank you
Linda