Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help, all you walking foot users do you change tension? do you FMQ (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-all-you-walking-foot-users-do-you-change-tension-do-you-fmq-t126425.html)

ShirlinAZ 05-30-2011 07:11 AM

Be sure to check your machine's manual. We can only tell you what we do for our machines. I have a Pfaff. I can use my IDT (walking foot) with all my decorative stitches. I cannot use the IDT with my FMQ/darning foot. I only have to adjust my tension for very heavy or very light fabrics. A medium setting works well for piecing and for FMQ. When I lower my feed dogs, my stitch length is mute so I don't bother to change it.

Practice on a sample sandwich, do what your manual says, then play with the settings until you figure out YOUR machine.

penski 05-30-2011 09:05 AM

i never change the tension for my walking foot and FMQ with my darning foot

grammysharon 05-30-2011 09:37 AM

I have not had to change tension when using walking foot. :-)

Eileen 05-30-2011 12:09 PM

No I don't change tension, machine has auto tension on it.

But I will lenghten my stitches just a bit to 3.5.

sew_sew 05-30-2011 12:14 PM

I don't use my walking foot for fmq.

CAS49OR 05-30-2011 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by CoyoteQuilts

Originally Posted by ckcowl
the walking foot is for straight lines- stitch in the ditch-cross hatch, ect-
a free-motion (darning foot) is used for fmq.
practice first on a small practice sandwich to see if your tension is going to need any adjusting

Ditto!

But, I think a FMQ foot is different than a darning foot. It has a spring on it, and holds the tension. A darning foot is the wide open foot used for embroidery?

chairjogger 05-31-2011 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by CAS49OR

Originally Posted by CoyoteQuilts

Originally Posted by ckcowl
the walking foot is for straight lines- stitch in the ditch-cross hatch, ect-
a free-motion (darning foot) is used for fmq.
practice first on a small practice sandwich to see if your tension is going to need any adjusting

Ditto!

But, I think a FMQ foot is different than a darning foot. It has a spring on it, and holds the tension. A darning foot is the wide open foot used for embroidery?

Darning foot has two sizes.. some will clip the wider darning foot to a "c" shape with the opening in front of the needle.
The BIG FOOT is wonderful, clear holds a lot of fabric down and I love it.

Today is my day to try out my walking foot !

Thank you all!!

chairjogger 05-31-2011 06:49 AM

Today is the day my house is quiet enough to try this walking foot out! Thank you all!

Ell

Sweetpea46 04-04-2012 08:24 PM

Does anyone have a Janome Magnolia 7330 machine? I am having trouble with the understitching when I use a walking foot. The stitches don't look even. I have been playing with the tension and stitch length all day and still it doesn't look right. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Sweetpea46 04-11-2012 07:57 PM

Whenever I use the walking foot my under stitch (bobbin) comes out distorted. I don't know how to fix this. I have a Janome 7330, Magnolia sewing machine.