Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help, all you walking foot users do you change tension? do you FMQ (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-all-you-walking-foot-users-do-you-change-tension-do-you-fmq-t126425.html)

chairjogger 05-28-2011 11:24 PM

I need details.. really want to be successful with this !!
Appreciate any help.
Ell

woody 05-29-2011 12:00 AM

I only change tension with my walking foot if it needs it, which most of the time it doesn't.
I FMQ with my darning foot on and my tension usually needs a bit of tweaking to get it right. I usually make a practice sandwich with the same batting and similar fabric and use it to practice and to adjust my tension before I start on my quilt. If I get the tension right and then it goes silly, try changing your needle as it is usually the culprit. I hope this helps

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 05-29-2011 01:00 AM

My walking foot doesn't usually require me to change tension. With my walking foot, I can do straight lines, gentle curves or decorative stitches. FMQ is done with a darning foot.

Lacelady 05-29-2011 01:16 AM

I don't change tension for anything - my Bernina 730 is so mild mannered, it seems to cope with everything I put under it's needle, thank goodness.

ckcowl 05-29-2011 01:28 AM

the walking foot is for straight lines- stitch in the ditch-cross hatch, ect-
a free-motion (darning foot) is used for fmq.
practice first on a small practice sandwich to see if your tension is going to need any adjusting

CoyoteQuilts 05-29-2011 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
practice first on a small practice sandwich to see if your tension is going to need any adjusting

Ditto!

nativetexan 05-29-2011 07:20 AM

I have a Janome MC4800 and never change my tension. and you can't FMQ with your walking foot. you need a darning foot that has a spring on the shaft.
i do some slightly curved lines with my walking foot instead of all straight stitching. just move the quilt to the left and then the right as I sew along.

QuiltE 05-29-2011 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by CoyoteQuilts

Originally Posted by ckcowl

Ditto!

I'll third that!

LisaWannaBQuilter ... Hadn't thought about decorative stitches with the walking food ... thanks for the idea!!

jigs1354 05-29-2011 07:34 AM

No, haven't had to yet, you'll know if you need to do that I would think.
shirley

ghostrider 05-29-2011 07:36 AM

Some walking feet require that you change tension...and some can only handle straight stitches, not needle shifting decorative ones. Read the instructions for your particular foot to be sure of what yours requires