Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help with Bargello Island Sunset Twist & Turn (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-bargello-island-sunset-twist-turn-t179686.html)

swanrd 02-17-2012 04:41 AM

Help with Bargello Island Sunset Twist & Turn

I would love to make a queen size in this pattern can anyone figure it for me? in the book it makes a 40 1/4 X 56 1/2 & I am not good at redoing the math. The quilt is Island Sunset in the book twist & turn bargello quilts. Thanks for your help.
CathieB (swanrd )

shnnn 02-17-2012 04:51 AM

Double the bargello then adjust the boarders to the size you want would be my suggestion... just remember when you double it you need 4x the fabric :)

Buckeye Rose 02-17-2012 05:58 AM

I just looked up the pattern (I have to book too!) and saw that without adjusting the block sizes, the only way to increase would be to add more borders and I am afraid that that won't look right. I don't think you want to mess with the pattern of the bargello either. I would double the size of each block. It will keep the integrity of the pattern intact. That means that where the initial strips to be cut are 1-1/2", cut them 3". And on the strips for the pattern, double that as well....so where strip numbered 1 is 3/4", cut it 1-1/2". If I am wrong, please somebody jump in and correct me.

Buckeye Rose 02-17-2012 09:35 AM

Please don't rely on my suggestions only....keep posting as I may be all wrong

nativetexan 02-17-2012 09:44 AM

is this the one with only one block design and you just lay them out differently to "twist" your designs? If so, you could simply enlarge the block. if necessary you could draw it out on paper or take to a copy shop.

Havplenty 02-17-2012 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by swanrd (Post 4982417)
I would love to make a queen size in this pattern can anyone figure it for me? in the book it makes a 40 1/4 X 56 1/2 & I am not good at redoing the math. The quilt is Island Sunset in the book twist & turn bargello quilts. Thanks for your help.
CathieB (swanrd )

the author of this book is a member on this quilt board. her screen name is eileensquilting. try reaching out to her and see if she can offer you some advice. it has been a while since i actually chatted with her about the surf song bargello in her book.

quilterella 02-18-2012 03:16 AM

I can't help with the math, but, I am currently trying to do the same thing with the Nebula in that book. I thought of increasing the block size, but I think you would loose the integrity of the quilt. So far, I have 30 fabrics instead of 20 and I am hoping this will make it large enough to add borders without it looking funny. I plan on watching this thread for other answers.

swanrd 02-18-2012 04:09 AM

Thank you ladies for your help & I will keep watching to see if anyone else has some ideas. I will try emailing the lady on the board since it is her book and if she tells me the way to do it I will share that with the board. You ladies are so helpful I just love the board.
CathieB

Havplenty 02-18-2012 07:21 AM

i would also invite her to the thread (just copy the thread link in your pm) in case anyone else has questions for her.

shnnn 02-21-2012 10:21 AM

This is exactly what I was thinking - and what I had intended to do with the aurora borealis bargello I made, but when I bought the fabric I bought twice the fabric to make it twice as big... oops - forgot it's bigger 2 directions :shock:

Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose (Post 4982651)
I just looked up the pattern (I have to book too!) and saw that without adjusting the block sizes, the only way to increase would be to add more borders and I am afraid that that won't look right. I don't think you want to mess with the pattern of the bargello either. I would double the size of each block. It will keep the integrity of the pattern intact. That means that where the initial strips to be cut are 1-1/2", cut them 3". And on the strips for the pattern, double that as well....so where strip numbered 1 is 3/4", cut it 1-1/2". If I am wrong, please somebody jump in and correct me.