Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help with binding (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-binding-t267850.html)

GrammieJan 07-21-2015 09:14 PM

Help with binding

I would like to learn how to make a perfect machine sewn binding that finishes at about 3/8 to 1/2 inches wide on both sides. I watched several you tube videos, but still cannot get what I want. I always have to finish the back side by hand stitching in order to cover the stitch line from the initial sewing on the front side. I would like to SID from the front side and catch the edge of binding underneath. I use a 2 1/2 inch wide strip, folded double. Should I cut my strip 2 3/4" wide?
Thanks for your help.

Tartan 07-21-2015 09:48 PM

I cut my binding at 2-1/4 for 1/4 inch binding but find it impossible to get a straight line of stitching from the front to catch all of the back binding edge. I have tried pins, clips and dots of glue but I am never happy. If you use a fancy stitch it works better but not perfect.
If I want to machine stitch my bindings, I always use Charisma's Quick Machine Binding with flange tutorial here on QB. She gives the measurements for finished 1/4 inch binding with 1/8 inch flange that you stitch down from the front. If you match your thread to the backing it matches right in. If you wanted the binding to finish at 1/2 inch with a flange, you would change the measurements of your binding strips. I think it would work out to be a 2 inch strip for the flange colour and a 1-3/4 inch strip for the binding and they are sewn together and folded. Try a sample and see how you like it.

maviskw 07-22-2015 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 7264233)
I cut my binding at 2-1/4 for 1/4 inch binding but find it impossible to get a straight line of stitching from the front to catch all of the back binding edge. I have tried pins, clips and dots of glue but I am never happy.

Gluing the binding to the back works for me, but not dots of glue. I put a thin line of glue on the seam allowance of the quilt back, fold the binding over to cover the seam line by 1/8th inch and iron it down til the glue is dry. The corners need another drop or two in the folded sections. Then it takes about an hour to stitch in the ditch from the front. I very seldom have any sections that are not sewn.

I usually use 2 1/2in. width binding, but occasionally a narrower one.
I put the ironing board (folded) on the edge of the bed, lay the quilt on the bed, back side up, and work there. The bed holds the weight of the quilt so it is easier to work around the quilt.

coopah 07-22-2015 04:51 AM

Try the 2 3/4" strip on a small something...like a potholder and see how you like it. I don't show my quilts and finally decided to do machine stitching on the binding finish...so I finish it on the front rather than on the back. Not too many folks are going to look at or criticize any wobbles on the back.

ManiacQuilter2 07-22-2015 05:20 AM

It is near to impossible to sew thru so much bulk and get a perfectly straight stitch. You might want to Google "flange binding" because at least you can hide your stitches in the ditch that is created. I have always preferred doing the binding the old fashion way. It just looks neater and cleaner. I won Best of Show twice and many blue ribbons doing my binding that way.

ClairVoyantQuilter 07-22-2015 05:50 AM

I machine bind about half of my quilts. I make my strips 2.5", fold down the center and press. Then stitch it to the BACK side using a .25" seam allowance. Then take it to the ironing board and press up that seam, fold using clips to secure, then stitch down using an edge foot. I should point out, I have a Bernina with dual feed, and the dual feed edge stitch foot works similarly to a walkng foot. I'm extremely pleased with the outcome using this method. Though show quilts and scalloped edge quilts always get hand binding.

EasyPeezy 07-22-2015 08:12 AM

I have the same problem but I'd rather go over the missed sections than do the binding
by hand. I think there are two reasons why we don't reach the stitch line...either we
didn't stitch a straight 3/8" or we didn't trim our quilt properly. It happens.
If you have a lot of miss I would follow coopah's suggestion and cut the binding
a little wider. I've done it and it works better. Most of the time I forget. Oops. LOL
It also helps to do a running stitch along the edges of the quilt before applying
the binding. Do you use washable school glue when applying your binding?
It helps to sew straight because you don't have to struggle with pins, clips, etc.
I glue one side at a time.
I also make a better binding if I remember to make a test piece:-).
For example, a quilt with a piano key border is a lot thicker at the edge and
usually needs more than 2.5". The thickness of fabric and thread will also
make a difference.

tessagin 07-22-2015 08:58 AM

I use clips to hold it down whether hand stitching or machine stitching. Just move the clips along as you go.

Jingle 07-22-2015 09:46 AM

I use clips also. I think it is faster and easier with them. I still hand stitch inding to the back. I prefer that look.

Nammie to 7 07-22-2015 10:12 AM

Google "Happy Feet - quilt binding edition" This process uses foot #71 (Bernina). It is a flat fell foot, and is used to completely machine stitch the binding on. It works for me.