Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help! Is border too big for size of the quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-border-too-big-size-quilt-t268341.html)

dunster 08-03-2015 06:52 PM

Wonderful quilt, you've done fine work with lots of vibrant colors. I agree with the others that one row of cowboys is enough, and I would also extend the sashing that's around each block to the top of the first row, then a black inner border to rest the eye before the cowboys appear, and after them I would put another black border. It's going to be a very striking quilt.

DOTTYMO 08-04-2015 12:34 AM

I would put a plain border between centre and one row of cowboys. Just too busy with them next to all those beautiful quilted blocks.

paoberle 08-04-2015 03:33 AM

All I see are the cowboys. I would only use a single row. If you need the size, try adding a border of the gold.

luvstoquilt 08-04-2015 04:37 AM

What a great quilt full of love and memories. Whatever you decide will be appreciated by your family.

maviskw 08-04-2015 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by LindaMRB (Post 7276117)
I see I am the first to respond . . . but I do believe the cowboy border is a bit overpowering. You have many smaller pieces in the squares in the body of the quilt and the border has a pretty close repeat so it becomes very prominent. It also has a limited and vibrant color - black/brown with the graduation of orange to yellow. Just my opinion. I really like the body of the quilt - lots of interesting patterns and colors. Please share when you make your decision!

I, too, love the body of the quilt, but can't figure out why it needs cowboys. I don't understand how that goes with that gorgeous quilt. I would leave them off, and find a border of things that match more with the inside. Just my Humble Opinion.

Buckeye Rose 08-04-2015 04:56 AM

In my opinion, the cowboy border is just too much. It gets lost in all the busyness of the quilt. I think the quilt needs a solid border, to give a finished edge look. If you still want to use the cowboys, use a wider first border to separate, then add a single row of cowboys. And I think I would make the sides the same as the top....that would help to give it a framed look.

littlebitoheaven 08-04-2015 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by dunster (Post 7276377)
Wonderful quilt, you've done fine work with lots of vibrant colors. I agree with the others that one row of cowboys is enough, and I would also extend the sashing that's around each block to the top of the first row, then a black inner border to rest the eye before the cowboys appear, and after them I would put another black border. It's going to be a very striking quilt.

I really like Dunster's idea. I believe that this would be great. The inner black would "frame" the quilt and then the smaller cowboy border. It is a beautiful quilt and whatever you decide they will love it.

ManiacQuilter2 08-04-2015 05:48 AM

I agree it is a little busy. Good Luck with your final choice.

QuiltingNinaSue 08-04-2015 06:30 AM

Thanks for all your suggestions and expressing your opinions. It is a western theme quilt, the cowboys looked great when I spied it in a Kansas Quilt Shop. In semi-darkness, they frame the whole quilt and look great. Considering a small braid of the brown and yellow/gold about three and one half inches, then the one row of cowboys...reducing the size by a couple of inches each way. . . 96 by 104 would be a better size.

csknott 08-04-2015 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by dunster (Post 7276377)

I agree with dunster. Understand your wanting to use that border. It will be a prize for your family. Love and appreciate all the work that has gone into your lovely quilt.