Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help choose my binding for wall hanging - my worst nemesis (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-choose-my-binding-wall-hanging-my-worst-nemesis-t271593.html)

PghPat 10-28-2015 11:54 AM

Help choose my binding for wall hanging - my worst nemesis

1 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]534425[/ATTACH]

My worst part of quilting - choosing fabric. This is one of the Row by Rows from PA. I only wanted this as a Row for a wall hanging. After choosing the background fabric for a friend to do the embroidering of the wording I did the rest. Then I decided I didn't even like my background but had to deal with it. I looked at every piece of fabric I had and didn't like any for the border - then decided on black. Now I like the whole thing - but that was a hard decision for me. Now - the binding - should I just make it black or what other choice do I have? What would you do? Thanks for your help!

Jordan 10-28-2015 12:17 PM

What about a black binding as to not take away from the colorful umbrellas? Very nice wall hanging.

geevee 10-28-2015 12:25 PM

I personally would do it in the deep blue/teal of the 4th umbrella, that or black. It's very pretty, good job.

RST 10-28-2015 12:35 PM

I'd consider doing a facing as opposed to a traditional binding.

But for color -- black. Your black border is already doing a great job of framing the piece. To add a border in a color would just be distracting and I don't think it would add to the project.

DogHouseMom 10-28-2015 12:45 PM

I agree with the others above ... the black is a lovely frame already and anything else would detract from that. Bind it in black OR "birth" it. Since it is a wall hanging I might opt for birthing it.

tessagin 10-28-2015 12:49 PM

I agree; black.

PghPat 10-28-2015 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by RST (Post 7358944)
I'd consider doing a facing as opposed to a traditional binding.

When you say do a facing - do you mean sew the backing and top (RST) and batting leaving a 3" opening, and turning? That sounds like a good idea.

PghPat 10-28-2015 12:56 PM

If I sandwich and turn it - what would be the easiest way to do a pocket for hanging. I was thinking that since it is such a wide hanging that maybe I should use the kind of batting you put in some totes (sort of stiff) to keep it from sagging? Would that not be a good idea?

PghPat 10-28-2015 12:58 PM

Oops - another question - any suggestions on quilting it? As you have probably guessed I'm not the most experienced quilter. I have made some quilts but for the most part stitched in the ditch. I have a couple panels I have been hesitant to do because I'm not sure how to quilt them. Any help?

Tartan 10-28-2015 01:00 PM

If you have enough of the strip to do bias binding, I would do that. Bias binding from strips is just fun! A all black binding would work too. Or do the flange machine binding with the flange picking up one of the bright umbrella colours. Cute wall hanging!