Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   help,design uneven after quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-design-uneven-after-quilting-t170461.html)

amma 12-02-2011 02:30 PM

Even if I am not doing SID I still like to start from the center of the quilt and baste in stitches. These help to stabilize the quilt sandwich, especially if you are wrangling around a larger quilt. The more quilting I plan on doing, the more basting stitches I like to use.
I have had a little traveling even when using the spray, and a little basting seems to help hold the whole project together nicely.

Any amount of quilting can draw in the quilt, distorting the final shape and seam lines. The heavier you quilt, the greater the chance. Keeping the quilting evenly distributed, and working from the center out, may help you too.

If you are straight line quilting, a walking foot really helps to feed the sandwich through easier, with less distortion. Try using a little longer stitches too.
You shouldn't have to really tug and pull on the quilt to get it going under the needle. If you have to tug too much, you run a greater risk of distortion.
The suggestions for supporting the quilt are great ones, and will be very helpful to you :) :) :)

peggyauberry 12-02-2011 03:55 PM

I free-motion quilt usually. I always start from the center & am very careful about pulling or stretching the fabric. That is why I am so frustrated. Does the amount of quilting affect the shape in anyway? Thanks forall the input.

mcdaniel023 12-02-2011 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by omaluvs2quilt (Post 4743706)
I know not all people like to use these, but I sandwich with the 505 basting spray and find that it totally stabilizes the quilt sandwich. I have done several queen size quilts on my Janome 6600P with no problems and they have all washed up nice & soft. I do use my walking foot to stitch in the ditch, but much prefer to free motion. I have tried and tried the pinning process and have not been successful, even on a lap size or smaller. Once quilted I square up prior to applying the binding.

I second everything she said. (Even have the same machine)

hperttula123 12-02-2011 04:58 PM

quilting will stretch your fabric out slightly. It's never perfectly square after it is quilted. You have to square it up after it is done. They have videos on youtube to show you how to do that.

kpelletier83 12-02-2011 05:09 PM

I bet mine is worse than yours. I just did straight line quilting outlining blocks on my quilt but I did it without a walking foot (since I don't have one for my Bernina yet). I thought I was doing great until I hung it up on my design board and saw how wonky it make my border. I have a one inch border and then a 3 inch one. Then inside of the 1 inch border is crooked now. I make two mistakes. Not using a walking foot and quilting on the across the bias of my half square triangle. I am so bummed. I am hoping if I wash and block it I may get it to straighten out. I am still very new to domestic machine quilting. I just can't seem to get the hang of free motion yet. I bet it would have been better than this though.
so I feel your frustration.

ckcowl 12-02-2011 05:29 PM

i've always (evened) the edges before quilting- but i square the quilt after it is quilted- before the binding- the quilting process draws up the fabrics--due to the thickness of the quilt sandwich- much like fabric is (drawn up) when appliqued or embroidered- so it is normal for it to get a little---uneven when it is quilted- after the quilting is the time to square up- and block if needed.