Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help finding pattern (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-finding-pattern-t162027.html)

mpeters1200 10-20-2011 06:27 PM

After spending more money than I wanted to on cheapy gloves, as good ones were ridiculous, I thought I would pose a question here.

I am looking for a pattern to make a fleece hat that would extend down around the ears. I'd also like to make fleece gloves and scarves for my kids. One of my sons has a rather large head and those one size fits most covers the top of his head only and he looks kinda silly.

I have only started venturing into the sewing world as I've only ever been a quilter. Is it possible to make gloves or do you think they'd be a pain in the neck? I figure fleece would be good and warm and it does ravel.

I was able to get a fleece hat that has these little ear flaps for my youngest. I'd love to get my hands on a pattern to make those. I was thinking about taking it apart and using it as a template, but with my older kids, the hat would be too small.

Thanks in advance!

Melissa

PaperPrincess 10-20-2011 06:38 PM

All the major pattern companies ( simplicity, mc calls ect) have fleece accessory patterns. You can look on line or better yet go to joann's and look at the pattern books. I can't remember if they have any gloves, but they do have mitten patterns.

MissSandra 10-20-2011 06:39 PM

if you have a hat that sorta fits your sons head open it up and start adding to it until it fits and go from there with a new pattern. just a thought.
sandra

Glassquilt 10-20-2011 06:58 PM

I've got a polar fleece book with patterns in it.
I think gloves are more trouble than they're worth. I make mittens.
There are several hats.You can easily make a hat to fit your son.

QuiltnNan 10-20-2011 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
All the major pattern companies ( simplicity, mc calls ect) have fleece accessory patterns. You can look on line or better yet go to joann's and look at the pattern books. I can't remember if they have any gloves, but they do have mitten patterns.

i have one of these commercial patterns and they are easy to adjust sizes

irishrose 10-20-2011 07:08 PM

Gloves :thumbdown: Too much time and bother for the price they can be purchased. Hats and scraves :thumbup: Easy and can be fit to order. I know the major pattern companies have one with ear covers because I have one.

Dina 10-20-2011 07:11 PM

I agree. Gloves are too much trouble. Hats, scarfs, mittens, those are do-able.

RkayD 10-20-2011 08:20 PM

I made a scarf last year for my son out of t shirts..if that helps your thought process any.. Went together in a snap and was very warm but not bulky.

LyndaOH 10-20-2011 08:30 PM

Hi Melissa,

I'm so glad I read your post. I have a pattern for fleece hats which I got because my husband has a big head! I've never used it and I was going to list it as a Pay It Forward tonight. If you PM me with your address I'll be more than happy to send it to you. I think it will fill the bill.

Lynda

mpeters1200 10-21-2011 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by LyndaOH
Hi Melissa,

I'm so glad I read your post. I have a pattern for fleece hats which I got because my husband has a big head! I've never used it and I was going to list it as a Pay It Forward tonight. If you PM me with your address I'll be more than happy to send it to you. I think it will fill the bill.

Lynda

Oh that is wonderful, thank you!