Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Help finding pattern

After spending more money than I wanted to on cheapy gloves, as good ones were ridiculous, I thought I would pose a question here.

I am looking for a pattern to make a fleece hat that would extend down around the ears. I'd also like to make fleece gloves and scarves for my kids. One of my sons has a rather large head and those one size fits most covers the top of his head only and he looks kinda silly.

I have only started venturing into the sewing world as I've only ever been a quilter. Is it possible to make gloves or do you think they'd be a pain in the neck? I figure fleece would be good and warm and it does ravel.

I was able to get a fleece hat that has these little ear flaps for my youngest. I'd love to get my hands on a pattern to make those. I was thinking about taking it apart and using it as a template, but with my older kids, the hat would be too small.

Thanks in advance!

Melissa

Blog Entries
    All the major pattern companies ( simplicity, mc calls ect) have fleece accessory patterns. You can look on line or better yet go to joann's and look at the pattern books. I can't remember if they have any gloves, but they do have mitten patterns.

Blog Entries
    if you have a hat that sorta fits your sons head open it up and start adding to it until it fits and go from there with a new pattern. just a thought.
    sandra

Blog Entries
    I've got a polar fleece book with patterns in it.
    I think gloves are more trouble than they're worth. I make mittens.
    There are several hats.You can easily make a hat to fit your son.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
    All the major pattern companies ( simplicity, mc calls ect) have fleece accessory patterns. You can look on line or better yet go to joann's and look at the pattern books. I can't remember if they have any gloves, but they do have mitten patterns.
    i have one of these commercial patterns and they are easy to adjust sizes

Blog Entries
    Gloves :thumbdown: Too much time and bother for the price they can be purchased. Hats and scraves :thumbup: Easy and can be fit to order. I know the major pattern companies have one with ear covers because I have one.

I agree. Gloves are too much trouble. Hats, scarfs, mittens, those are do-able.

I made a scarf last year for my son out of t shirts..if that helps your thought process any.. Went together in a snap and was very warm but not bulky.

Hi Melissa,

I'm so glad I read your post. I have a pattern for fleece hats which I got because my husband has a big head! I've never used it and I was going to list it as a Pay It Forward tonight. If you PM me with your address I'll be more than happy to send it to you. I think it will fill the bill.

Lynda

Quote Originally Posted by LyndaOH
    Hi Melissa,

I'm so glad I read your post. I have a pattern for fleece hats which I got because my husband has a big head! I've never used it and I was going to list it as a Pay It Forward tonight. If you PM me with your address I'll be more than happy to send it to you. I think it will fill the bill.

Lynda
    Oh that is wonderful, thank you!

No pattern needed for gloves or mittens. Trace around person's hand. Add seam allowance. Sew together. Done. easy with fleece.

I didn't even think about that with fleece. I'd probably have to add quite a bit for the seam allowance and what my son calls "the squishy factor". It's the amount of room inside a garment/quilt you need to squish around in. I love the name he gives stuff.

I wonder if I made mittens if he'd be willing to wear the cheapy gloves under them. He can't tolerate it when his skin is cold, so it's difficult for him to wear mittens. I bet my other ones would though!

Thanks again!

Blog Entries
    For the mittins what about those using wool sweaters from the thrift store? I know its lots of trouble, however I was thinking about tracing around my hand and using the sleeve cuff as the ribbing at the wrist. I did those with the fleece lining and the seam in the palms..........too much work.........but they are warm so for a loved one might be worth it...........

Quote Originally Posted by LyndaOH
    Hi Melissa,

Lynda
    Lynda, you are a real sweetheart!!!

Quote Originally Posted by calla
    For the mittins what about those using wool sweaters from the thrift store? I know its lots of trouble, however I was thinking about tracing around my hand and using the sleeve cuff as the ribbing at the wrist. I did those with the fleece lining and the seam in the palms..........too much work.........but they are warm so for a loved one might be worth it...........
    I wonder if I could find soft wool somewhere. My son hates scratchy clothes as much as he hates being cold. I've never done gloves or clothes or anything like that. I wouldn't know how to add a seam in the palms.