Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   HELP!! HELP!! How do you ORGANIZE & STORE QUILT PATTERNS from MAGAZINES?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-help-how-do-you-organize-store-quilt-patterns-magazines-t117629.html)

okiepastor 04-20-2011 06:41 PM

I use sticky notes sticking out of the top of the magazine with the pattern written so I can see the name/category. Best way I found so far--though I still have STACKS to look through when I want one!

okiepastor 04-20-2011 06:42 PM

The scanning is in violation of copyright laws......

Janie Q 04-20-2011 07:10 PM

I tear out patterns and put them in page protectors in notebooks. If I have a really neat magazine that I don't want to tear up I turn the magazine pages to the pattern I like and then slip the whole magazine into a page protector. Then I can see every pattern just by browsing through my note books. I label each notebook according to categories.

KS quilter 04-20-2011 07:14 PM

I have a two drawer filing cabinet in my sewing area. I take the patterns out of the magazine and file them under
various headings; i.e., scrap, stars, baskets, baby, theme
(this would be sport, airplanes, boats, etc.) applique,
patriotic, crazy quilts, And, if it just doesn't fit into a category
there is always misc. right?
I also keep the patterns under a section "Already Made"
with the folder showing the quilt's name. So many times after people see a particular quilt, they ask you about the
pattern.

jeaninmaine 04-20-2011 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by okiepastor
The scanning is in violation of copyright laws......

Even when you bought the magazine and it's for your own personal use???

Jammin' Jane 04-20-2011 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by jeaninmaine
Try scanning the patterns you want and storing them on the computer. No Paper to store and you can always print them when you are ready to use them

I like your idea! I've got a stack of them and it would save space to save them this way! Thank you, jeaninmaine!

tntgranny 04-21-2011 02:47 AM

Page protectors and binders - best way to go. Sort in binders by type(lap quilts, baby quilts, table runners, etc) or topic (seasons, holidays, etc)

christina d 04-21-2011 02:48 AM

I bought a small portable scanner and scanned the picture and patterns into a dated file for each magazine when I finish I will burn them onto a disc for my personal use and then I can pass the magazines on to someone else undamaged

charlie 1940 04-21-2011 03:04 AM

To get the proper size printout, you need to check you page setup on your printer and make sure it is not set to fit to page. There is a setting that will print to the correct size. Check the 1" square print out that comes on most patterns and if there is any difference you should be able to account for it.

num1momva 04-21-2011 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by np3
I keep my magazines together. I put a post it note on the pages of quilts I want to make later. Then I take a copy of the picture of the quilt and put that in a binder. I mark the name of the magazine and the page # on the picture. When I am ready to make it, I can find the magazine quickly.

Others take out the pattern they want to make and store that in a binder. You can use page protectors to keep the pages nice. Then you can keep the magazine or toss it

I carry this one step farther and list the articles on a list in my computer. Only advise printing it out or saving to a disc occansionally as I didn't and when the computer died I lost my list. You can set up catagories on the list as well.