Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   HELP!! HELP!! How do you ORGANIZE & STORE QUILT PATTERNS from MAGAZINES?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-help-how-do-you-organize-store-quilt-patterns-magazines-t117629.html)

pieces 04-21-2011 04:14 AM

I cut the pattern from the magazine and put the pattern in a plastic sleeve. You can put 2 patterns per sleeve by putting the patterns back to back. I have a 3 ring binder for chilrens quilts and another binder for lap/bedsize quilts. Every year or so I go through the patterns and discard several. There seems to always be some patterns I saved and later decide I probably will never make the quilt. Tossing the magazines helps remove clutter from my sewing room, magazines contain so much advertising I don't feel I am loosing anything. But gaining space.

Vat 04-21-2011 04:18 AM

My magazines, I go throught each one and copy or tear out any project I truly love. The I put those page/pages in a three (3) ring binder in plastic cover pages. Lots of projects in a much smaller space. I get rid of the magazine itself.

sue38 04-21-2011 04:37 AM

I make copies on my printer of the quilts I have good intentions of making and insert them in plastic holders and keep in a loose leaf binder.

Nolee 04-21-2011 04:43 AM

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by LivelyLady
I had so many magazines saved from over the years that I finally downsized. I went through each mag and tore out ideas/patterns that I wanted to keep and put them in page protectors and then put them in binders. And then I label the binders as applique, quilting motifs, etc.

Scraps 04-21-2011 04:59 AM

My friend and I each get a different quilt mag subscription to share. Any patterns we want to make we use the sheet protector - 3 ring binder method. When we are both done with the mags we check mark the cover and take those to our favorite LQS where they are put in a big basket to share with others. I do hang on to the magazines for a while to enjoy reading and looking, but they take up a lot of room to store.

DonnaB 04-21-2011 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by LivelyLady
I had so many magazines saved from over the years that I finally downsized. I went through each mag and tore out ideas/patterns that I wanted to keep and put them in page protectors and then put them in binders. And then I label the binders as applique, quilting motifs, etc.

This works good, I reorganized mine this year too! But when I first get the magazines I mark them with a yellow sticky if I'm interested in a pattern, then years later if I'm still interested in the pattern I'll tear it out and do as above, put in a page protector and file in a binder.

moreland 04-21-2011 05:17 AM

Mostly I just give mine away eventually. After they sit on the shelf for a year or so, I figure if I have not used them by now, it is safe to give them away. This board keeps me in more pattern ideas than I can ever get around to working on!!

supergma 04-21-2011 05:22 AM

Can't stand to ruin a quilting magazine. I always copy any pattern I think I want to make and organize them in a loose leaf binder. Then I share the magazine with someone else.

grumpy90650 04-21-2011 05:35 AM

all my patterns are in sheet protectors, then in three ring binders....i hve the binders separated by type of quilt, then i would like to make a list of the quilt names, and in which binder it is in, then i can actually find the pattern after it goes into the binder......LOL!!!

quiltingaz 04-21-2011 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by Janie Q
I tear out patterns and put them in page protectors in notebooks. If I have a really neat magazine that I don't want to tear up I turn the magazine pages to the pattern I like and then slip the whole magazine into a page protector. Then I can see every pattern just by browsing through my note books. I label each notebook according to categories.

I do this also. Sometimes it is fun to browse through the notebooks just to remember what I saved. I'm sure I will never have time to make them all but it's fun to look.