Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help!!! How can I safely remove oil? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-how-can-i-safely-remove-oil-t217466.html)

Buckeye Rose 03-27-2013 01:17 PM

I also use Dawn dishsoap....the original formula, no bleach....but whatever method you choose, don't put any heat to the fabric until the oil stain is gone.....heat will set the stain

Jackie Spencer 03-27-2013 04:30 PM

1 part Dawn and 2 parts peroxide in a spray bottle.

#1piecemaker 03-27-2013 05:16 PM

I should have known this!!! I love Dawn. Its the only thing I use for dishwashing! I even wash my truck with it. Great stuff! Thanks so much!! I am off to the kitchen.

Jan in VA 03-27-2013 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter (Post 5957708)
......This board should be in charge of the world. They know how to fix everything.

Oh, Lisa, wouldn't that be the coolest thing!!!! Maybe we should have a march on Washington....think how many of us quilters there on in this country -- and the DHs who support us! Wow!

Then again, we might not be so good with a budget, since most of us have a pretty bad track record with our fabric and tools purchasing, hmmmm.

Jan in VA

Mitch's mom 03-28-2013 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA (Post 5959423)
Oh, Lisa, wouldn't that be the coolest thing!!!! Maybe we should have a march on Washington....think how many of us quilters there on in this country -- and the DHs who support us! Wow!

Then again, we might not be so good with a budget, since most of us have a pretty bad track record with our fabric and tools purchasing, hmmmm.

Jan in VA

We may spend money but we keep the lights on, food on the table - even if DH has to cook it - and from what I read most of us save and pay cash or use gift cards. I think we could teach Washington a thing or two!

For a stubborn oil/grease stain use lighter fluid (naptha) then hand or machine wash. It won't harm your colors or weaken your fabric unless you light it - Don't do that!

sew4nin 03-28-2013 06:37 AM

ok #1piecemaker, did you get it out?

#1piecemaker 03-28-2013 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by sew4nin (Post 5960165)
ok #1piecemaker, did you get it out?

Yes!!! Yes!!! the Dawn worked fabulously!! I knew I could count on this board to know what to do!! I am so thankful.

Sierra 03-28-2013 08:33 AM

[QUOTE=Mitch's mom;5959609]

"We may spend money but we keep the lights on, food on the table - even if DH has to cook it."

I have to show this to my DH! Ever since retirement he has been fiddling in the kitchen (and our quality of eating has gone way up!). With most of my retired friends it is the hubby that cooks! Probably not because the wives were not very imaginative (as in my case) but just because it is a new challenge. And just maybe they are proud of what their wives are doing and this is one more way to support them!

chips88 03-28-2013 08:41 AM

dawn dish liquid..

FubsyMog 03-28-2013 08:50 AM

I have had success with Fairy Liquid - don't know if this is a brand you can get in the States. As it is a degreasant to cut through grease on dirty dishes, it is good at removing any kind of oily stain. Any degreasing detergent should do the same I would think.