Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help, How do I fix this? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-how-do-i-fix-t302802.html)

junegerbracht 02-07-2019 07:34 AM

I love this pattern for quick and easy baby quilts but you do have to be very careful about the bias edges.

ana1191 02-07-2019 09:29 AM

Instead of using a measuring tape, I use the border to measure the center of the quilt. I use pins to mark the outer quilt edges. Then I move the border to the outer edge and ease in the quilt between the pins. Hope this makes sense.

quiltlady1941 02-07-2019 10:05 PM

Oh Thank you cathyvv, I printed this off so I can go back and read it again, thank you so much...

quiltlady1941 02-07-2019 10:09 PM

Thanks everyone for your great advice, i took all the borders off.I think I will do what cathyvv said and spray it and putit in a lingereri bag and put it in the dryer. I must have ironed the block and stretched them out of shape...I hope i can get them back to the way they were.. I thought this would be a easy quilt but not so much now..

maviskw 02-08-2019 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by quiltlady1941 (Post 8207144)
Oh Thank you cathyvv, I printed this off so I can go back and read it again, thank you so much...

One important thing about Cathyvv's post. When you sew on the vertical borders, the horizontal borders are now wider by twice the width, minus two seam allowances, of those borders. You need to add that on before you cut those second two borders. Or measure and sew on the first two borders and then measure for the second set after the first side is on.

bkay 02-08-2019 06:47 AM

Thanks CathyVV, I too copied those hints. I have a lap quilt I gave up on, as I couldn't get the ruffles out of the border. (It wasn't bias, either.)

bkay

cathyvv 02-08-2019 01:55 PM

I just noticed an incorrect point in 2) C. It should read make sure not to Iron the seams. Press them.

cathyvv 02-08-2019 02:01 PM

Maviskw, You're right! I agree with you, but think the point is that whether you do the vertical or horizontal borders first, you have to add the width of the border to the remaining two borders when measuring.

So, if the vertical borders go on first, then the horizontal width of the quilt must be measured after the vertical borders are on.

If the horizontal borders are put on the quilt first, then the vertical width of the quilt must be measured after the horizontal borders are on.

cathyvv 02-08-2019 02:05 PM

It took me quite a while (and several sessions with a seam ripper) to figure out what caused the wavy/ripply problem on one of my quilts. So now I always check the tension IMMEDIATELY after sewing the first half of the first border I put on a quilt.

stitch678 02-08-2019 06:29 PM

Those bias edges from the 1/2 squares stretched.Just top stitch 1/8" away from edge using a fairly long stitch length ( 3.5 will do) . Then use a pin, lift bobbin thread and to pull a bit of fullness out of each triangle. A bit of work but saves grief. When there are much smaller triangles, jut tighten the machine's upper tension ( quite a lot, like a whole #), and stitch that 1/8" edge stitching. Works for me!