Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help/I have a really stupid question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-i-have-really-stupid-question-t153406.html)

bearisgray 09-16-2011 02:19 PM

Some authors prefer that the strip be cut parallel with the selvage instead of crosswise.

I also prefer to do it that way - I figure I will have at least two straight edges on a strip when I make the first cut lengthwise instead of crosswise.

GrannieAnnie 09-16-2011 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Quilt-Till-U-Wilt
Somehow instead of cutting the material across the grain I cut it on the up and down grain. I'm making half square triangles and they went together fine. I have 1/2 of them done. Should I keep cutting the way I started or cut from selvage to selvage like I should have. Will this affect anything once I put the quilt together. Guess I was in too much of a hurry.

As long as you're running with the thread, there is no difference. Getting off track and cutting on an angle would be a problem perhaps, but you're not doing that.

kiffie2413 09-16-2011 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by jljack

Originally Posted by Quilt-Till-U-Wilt
Somehow instead of cutting the material across the grain I cut it on the up and down grain. I'm making half square triangles and they went together fine. I have 1/2 of them done. Should I keep cutting the way I started or cut from selvage to selvage like I should have. Will this affect anything once I put the quilt together. Guess I was in too much of a hurry.

It doesn't matter across or by length...what would matter would be diagonal, which would give you all bias pieces...not good!!

:thumbup: ...have to add, "There are no stupid questions!!"

thimblebug6000 09-16-2011 05:40 PM

When cutting borders on the lengthwise instead of the width wise (it's called railroading them) it does make a difference because there is not the same amount of "give" because of the way the fabric is woven, however if just doing a small block it probably won't make a difference.

ccrow99 09-16-2011 06:05 PM

This proves there are no stupid questions. I learn from every question.

M.I.Late 09-16-2011 06:30 PM

Certainly don't change anything now if they are half cut. If they give and stretch one way - make them all the same. Since it worked so far, I wouldn't change anything part way through.

Glassquilt 09-17-2011 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by thimblebug6000
When cutting borders on the lengthwise instead of the width wise (it's called railroading them) it does make a difference because there is not the same amount of "give" because of the way the fabric is woven, however if just doing a small block it probably won't make a difference.

Agree. Small pieces are Ok either way - it may be more economical to cut across.

quiltymom 09-17-2011 05:27 AM

Ditto done this for years your ok.

mimee4 09-17-2011 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by M.I.Late
Certainly don't change anything now if they are half cut. If they give and stretch one way - make them all the same. Since it worked so far, I wouldn't change anything part way through.

Definitely finish cutting them the way you already did. The pattern on your fabric might have a direction or a "shading". No one will notice anyway. No stupid questions here and no quilt police. Just fun.

alwayslearning 09-17-2011 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
I do this all the time. I never pay attention to which way I am cutting.

I love your attitude!