Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help/I have a really stupid question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-i-have-really-stupid-question-t153406.html)

Quilt-Till-U-Wilt 09-16-2011 09:48 AM

Somehow instead of cutting the material across the grain I cut it on the up and down grain. I'm making half square triangles and they went together fine. I have 1/2 of them done. Should I keep cutting the way I started or cut from selvage to selvage like I should have. Will this affect anything once I put the quilt together. Guess I was in too much of a hurry.

mhunt1717 09-16-2011 09:49 AM

I'm no expert, but I would think if you cut them square that two of the sides would be on the cross grain?

Scissor Queen 09-16-2011 09:59 AM

It doesn't really matter which direction you cut them first.

RenaB 09-16-2011 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen

My thoughts exactly :thumbup:

cjomomma 09-16-2011 10:08 AM

I do this all the time. I never pay attention to which way I am cutting.

jljack 09-16-2011 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Quilt-Till-U-Wilt
Somehow instead of cutting the material across the grain I cut it on the up and down grain. I'm making half square triangles and they went together fine. I have 1/2 of them done. Should I keep cutting the way I started or cut from selvage to selvage like I should have. Will this affect anything once I put the quilt together. Guess I was in too much of a hurry.

It doesn't matter across or by length...what would matter would be diagonal, which would give you all bias pieces...not good!!

Quilt-Till-U-Wilt 09-16-2011 10:09 AM

Thank you. You're all the greatest. I panicked for a minute.

QuiltnLady1 09-16-2011 10:10 AM

Agreed -- it really does not matter which grain line you cut them on initially. If you cut them on one grain line, then one side will be on the straight of grain and the adjacent (connected) side will be on the cross grain. Your bias will still be the same.

I start my cuts on the lengthwise grain frequently since that way I can keep my longest pieces intact for borders.

Don't worry -- no problems there. Keep going.

belmer 09-16-2011 10:14 AM

I agree!

Originally Posted by jljack

Originally Posted by Quilt-Till-U-Wilt

It doesn't matter across or by length...what would matter would be diagonal, which would give you all bias pieces...not good!!

loves_2_quilt 09-16-2011 10:14 AM

Same here

Originally Posted by RenaB

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen

My thoughts exactly :thumbup: