Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help! I need your expertise! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-i-need-your-expertise-t303827.html)

Sewing Cynthia 03-25-2019 03:09 PM

Tartan and Stitchnripper - so you would make a small snip in the fabric so it can be pressed the other way? (seams are holding it in place currently)
joe'smom - thanks for the input!

Sewing Cynthia 03-25-2019 03:10 PM

sewbizgirl - the geese nest on one side but not the other, to repress the geese, the opposite side would nest but not the first side. its a conundrum!

Jingle 03-25-2019 03:42 PM

If seam is sewn I would rip and just turn whichever side to make them nest and move on. As someone said you can't tell once the quilt is done. I do this quite often.

EasyPeezy 03-25-2019 04:30 PM

You could either snip or twist the seams. I've snipped my seams when
needed.It helps if you have a good pair of small pointy scissors and a
good light. Don't want to cut into the seam. :D

greensleeves 03-25-2019 04:38 PM

This might work. Snip in the light fabric seam near the point of the flying geese when necessary and flip that seam but not the point of the fling geese. You might have a snip on only one side of the geese point in some and on both sides of the point in some. This way the point still goes its natural way and you can turn the light seam the way you need to nest.

Sewing Cynthia 03-25-2019 05:11 PM

Greensleeves- I like it! Seems least labor intensive. Thanks!
EasyPeezy - looking for my little scissors!
Jingle - thanks for the advise!
this forum is awesome!

stitch678 03-26-2019 04:19 AM

Just stitch as they present themselves, and then press resulting seams open.Seams need not always nest. Pinning helps.

peaceandjoy 03-26-2019 08:45 AM

The problem with pressing geese so that the nose of the goose is pressed down is that on the front, it's hard to get a nice, sharp tip in that nose.

In addition, in this case, it appears that the seams will nest on one side of each goose, but not the other? So even if you change the press direction of the goose, you'll still have only 1/2 of the seams nesting with the log cabins.

The way you feed fabric in when making log cabins impacts how the seams in the back need to be pressed to remain flat. Or at least I think it does. I haven't made a LC in 20 years, so am not positive - but it seems like I remember always having to feed it so that one or the other of the round is on top as it's being sewn. If you've already done all of the units, you aren't going to want to play around with that.

I'd be seeing how flat - or not - they lay and how nicely I could get them all to match as is. If that doesn't work, I'd be twisting the seam on the side of the log cabin that doesn't nest with the geese. That flipped seam would probably not be noticed at all once layered and quilted. Unless it's being judged, I wouldn't worry about it.

Looking forward to seeing the finished quilt, from the back, it's looking fabulous.

Sewing Cynthia 03-26-2019 01:02 PM

2 Attachment(s)
stitch678 & peaceandjoy - Thank you for your thoughts!
below is how I finally decided to handle this. On the four flying geese segments, I am snipping a 45 degree cut to the right of the point and ironing one side of geese in opposite direction. Onward and upward. so thankful for this forum and its members willing to offer advise
[ATTACH=CONFIG]610809[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]610810[/ATTACH]

Stitchnripper 03-26-2019 01:14 PM

Came out perfect!!