Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help! I need your expertise! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-i-need-your-expertise-t303827.html)

Sewing Cynthia 03-25-2019 12:45 PM

Help! I need your expertise!

1 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]610757[/ATTACH]
I just completed making many, many of these 9 components according to the directions of a pattern, only to find out the pressing directions are wrong! (Confirmed by others) The four squares are all sewn and pressed the same, as well as the four flying geese strips. The problem is the four squares (1,3,7,9) are each placed in a different direction. Now I need to sew the top three together, middle three, bottom three, and then sew all three rows together to complete the block. Because of the faulty pressing directions, the seams won't nest. if the square on the left of flying geese nests, the right side will not. this is also a problem top to bottom - if square above flying geese nests, the square below will not.
how would you correct this problem? press flying geese seams open, producing three layers of fabric in new seams?
snip seams in square and press them the correct way? another solution?
so many to fix, and appreciate your thoughts!

KalamaQuilts 03-25-2019 01:07 PM

can you turn your log cabin block the other way? You will still have the dark row of black squares making for pleasing eye movement across the quilt. set up a 4 or 8 block set on your working wall and see if the pattern is improved?

edited to add: welcome to the board from Sharyn in SW Washington state!

JustAbitCrazy 03-25-2019 01:11 PM

Sometimes when I have seams going the same direction, I split one of them (pressing that one open) so there are only 3 layers on one side instead of four. Every little bit helps. Can you do that? Can you press the last sewn seams open?

Btw, I love that block! Your quilt is going to be gorgeous!

Sewing Cynthia 03-25-2019 01:21 PM

KamalaQuilts, thank you for the response, the blocks are identical so the problem remains no matter their position.
JustAbitCrazy I may end up pressing all flying geese open. I’m feeling “Just a bit crazy” myself right now. I could switch last seam sewn as well. Thank you

Barb in Louisiana 03-25-2019 01:28 PM

I have been known to turn the seam in the middle so that the seam is nested. I quilt my own quilts and you can't tell after it is quilted. Of course, mine are not show quilts. They are to be used.

joe'smom 03-25-2019 01:46 PM

I do as Barb says above when confronted with this situation. I would probably turn those squares seams so they nest with the geese. I don't generally clip them, as they find a place to fold and lie pretty flat. That looks like a wonderful block!

Sewing Cynthia 03-25-2019 01:46 PM

Barb in Louisiana - how do you turn the seam, a small snip then press? I was concerned about the long arm quilter, so good to know you can’t tell the difference.I too make quilts to use!

Tartan 03-25-2019 01:47 PM

I wouldn’t mess with the flying geese but I would press the seams open on the Log Cabin quarters. Not ideal but I think it is your best option now.

Stitchnripper 03-25-2019 01:53 PM

I too would press the log cabin pieces open. I have started to press all my seams open. they still go together very nicely.

sewbizgirl 03-25-2019 03:06 PM

I would just re-press all the geese, so their seams lean towards the center.