Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help! I think I need an intervention! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-i-think-i-need-intervention-t180464.html)

MadQuilter 02-24-2012 12:00 PM

I went through "a phase" where I went gaga over fabric. I even started buying pattern I really (in hindsight) don't like. Then the room was full to overflowing and I became paralyzed in my mess - ahem, I mean stash. I sorted it and put it away neatly just to see what I have. The obsession sort of worked itself out and I only occasionally go on a bender. All I can say is good luck, be strong, and don't get yourself in financial trouble over a hobby.

orangeroom 02-24-2012 12:13 PM

As someone who only has a 6' cabinet of accumulated stash, try to avoid starting a stash. Those fabrics are pretty, I'm sure. However, years down the road, you may say "What on earth was I thinking?" when you look at a particular fabric.

I've made three quilts from my stash within the last few months. Hasn't even made a dent. Scrappy quilts are awesome!

lovequilts722 02-24-2012 01:07 PM

Thanks for the support everyone! Good to know I'm not alone in my addiction! :D

Candace :)

lfstamper 02-24-2012 01:11 PM

We can't stop ourselves, much less you. I cantell you that your taste will change and you won't like your stash asmuch but the main way to treat this is to not GO...lol. Good luck.

pacquilter 02-24-2012 02:13 PM

Look at it this way.... Imagine if all the fabric you bought was $10.00 a yard, and how much money you have actually saved by getting these good deals! Just so you know, there's no going back.... :)

Annaquilts 02-24-2012 02:17 PM

Hmmm I can't say anything as I spend more then $70 this week.

Threadbanger 02-24-2012 02:56 PM

I feel your pain! I'm a newby too and love Love LOVE fabric! I've had to tell myself thatt I can't go into a fabric store until I have a project finished. Once it finished, I can go back to fabric hunting. If I have a fabric craving before that time, I go into my stash, get out all my lovely fabrics, fold them and pet them. That satisfies the craving and reaquaints me with what I have (so I know what I might need to add next)!:thumbup:

garysgal 02-24-2012 03:57 PM

Well, I look at it this way: I don't drink or smoke or buy expensive jewelry or go on cruises, so the money I save I can use for quilting/sewing. My husband encourages me to quilt, and he never gets mad when I come home with more fabric. Of course, he does wood working and those tools are expensive!!

GiddyUpGo 02-24-2012 04:14 PM

"Can someone tell me how to overcome this!? "

Yes, have someone else drive you around town and make sure they never give into the desperate pleading that will occur each time you come within four or five miles of a fabric store.

If you can't find someone willing to be your personal chauffeur/voice of reason, then I'm afraid you're out of luck.

momto5 02-24-2012 04:17 PM

Your addiction won't even begin to ease up until three-quarters of your house has been taken over by the stash...sorry!