Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   HELP! I think I've goofed.....badly! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-i-think-ive-goofed-badly-t84228.html)

ccearley 12-20-2010 08:11 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is the red and white quilt top and back that I got in such a hurry to make. I DID NOT pre-wash all that red fabric :cry: Now that it is ready to sandwich and quilt, it dawned on me that I will probably end up with a pink and red quilt....or worse yet....a pinkish marbled and red quilt.
Do you think if I throw in a box or two of that color catcher (or whatever it is called) it will "catch" all that red when I wash it??? Should I wash it first, then sandwich and quilt?What to do? What to do? :?:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]146245[/ATTACH]

back
[ATTACH=CONFIG]146246[/ATTACH]

davidwent 12-20-2010 08:14 PM

I'm a newbie so I don't know, but I had to write and tell you I think it is a GORGEOUS quilt!!!!
David

Quilter7x 12-20-2010 08:14 PM

I wouldn't wash it before sandwiching it or you'll create a huge mess at all your seams. Put it together and then throw a few color catchers in. Red fabrics are much better today than they have been in years past, so you might be all right.

Prism99 12-20-2010 08:17 PM

You could be just fine. I've used a lot of red fabrics that haven't bled at all.

What I would recommend at this point is that you make the quilt, then plan on washing it in a large washing machine with Synthrapol (sold in quilt shops and online, including Amazon). You want the largest washing machine you can get to ensure there is plenty of water to dilute any bleeds. If it does bleed, you may need to wash several times to make sure all excess dye is gone.

The color catcher sheets are good, but they cannot handle huge bleeds. Even Synthrapol may not completely handle a huge bleed, but at least it will minimize the bleed plus subsequent washings (don't dry in-between if there are any bleeds) will gradually remove any mild bleeds.

Just be aware that Synthrapol is supposed to be used with hot water.

Edit: Also, I would recommend taking small pieces of each of the red fabrics you used and testing them as follows. (1) Place in a glass of water for a half hour or so and watch to see if any ribbons of dye bleed into the water. (2) Rub both the dry fabric and the damp fabric against a piece of white fabric to see if any dye rubs off. If all the red fabrics pass all these tests, then you are safe washing in your home washer with Synthrapol and/or color catchers.

Do *not*, when you wash, allow the damp quilt to lie crumpled on itself. Extended contact of the wet fabrics can facilitate dye transfer.

It is not safe to wash an unquilted sandwich or a quilt top before quilting. For a quilt top, the safest way to do this is to first baste the top to a foundation fabric and then hand wash. Washing a pieced top before it is quilted can create a tangled mess of frayed seams.

np3 12-20-2010 08:18 PM

Don't wash it before it is quilted!! Use two color catchers when you wash it and it should be okay. It has always worked well for me.

C.Cal Quilt Girl 12-20-2010 08:19 PM

I'd wash with the color catchers before you do all the quilting then find out later one of the reds decided to runnnnn. They are just little sheets, smaller then a dryer sheet, and I know they work used this weekend, worked wonders.
On the up side could be cool with the tie dyed look.
Good Job so far !! :)

ccearley 12-20-2010 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by davidwent
I'm a newbie so I don't know, but I had to write and tell you I think it is a GORGEOUS quilt!!!!
David

Thanks, David....I hope it stays that way!

AnitaGrossmanSolomon 12-20-2010 08:25 PM

Nice piecing. :-)

I'd test the fabric at this point before deciding what to do.

If you have leftover red pieces, lay them onto white fabric (or even a white napkin or dishtowel) and stitch them down, almost a darning stitch. Just haphazard stitching to anchor the patches.

Cut the sewn thing in half. Wash one of the halves. Let the washed one sit a bit after the spin cycle. Check not only to see if it bled in the wash, but if it bled afterward. Some fabric dyes disperse in the wash water while others later trail out along the thread lines onto adjoining fabric. Some bleeding occurs when wet fabric sits. Eventually toss the washed half into the dryer and then compare it to the other half.

The fabric may surprise you and be alright.

Anita

Edit: When I read and replied to your msg, I didn't see the other replies, including Prism's advice. Anita

ccearley 12-20-2010 08:26 PM

Thanks, everyone, for all your suggestions!

magnolia 12-20-2010 09:10 PM

I just quilted and bound a quilt. The quilt had a lot of white in it and the binding was red. I forgot to wash the red fabric first. When the quilt was completely finished I threw it in the washer on gentle cycle, cold water, and with 2 color catchers. It came out perfectly fine-no bleeding at all.