Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help, I'm scared. (new Quilter). (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-im-scared-new-quilter-t48565.html)

karendenice 06-06-2010 07:11 AM

I pulled out a couple of quilt tops that a put together years (10?) years ago. I started to hand quilt one of them. I discovered that the seam to one of the blocks is coming apart. Tried to sew it back together by hand but it kept fraying. Put my problem on the QB. I have all the things that I need to fix it, but I'm scared to pick it up. :-( I don't want to ruin it. Every time I look at it my mind goes crazy. What do I do? :?:

geckogirl 06-06-2010 08:17 AM

Breathe :-)

It will all work out :-)

I am not a very experienced quilter but there will be someone on this message board that will be able to offer you the advice that you need. They are ALL wonderful around these parts :-)

Best of luck to you!

craftybear 06-06-2010 08:28 AM

you can do it, just get it out and start working on it, have fun!!!

DebraK 06-06-2010 08:50 AM

10 years ago? You can't be that new, just feels like it ;-)

Try some of the things you learned here, closer to the edges of the quilt, or maybe make a couple of samples with the same problem so you can see how it might look.

And like someone else said, just breathe. The bigger waste will be if you do nothing with it.

reach for the stars 2 06-06-2010 08:54 AM

Just go for it. It all works out eventually. If something falls apart maybe you can add something else or make it smaller. Fray check is great if it is raveling. Just put on edge (small amount is better) let it dry and you can handle it easier. Have fun. Happy Quilting

karendenice 06-06-2010 09:02 AM

I have fray check. Do I put it on before I rip out the seam to put the fusible stuff under it?

gollytwo 06-06-2010 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by karendenice
I pulled out a couple of quilt tops that a put together years (10?) years ago. I started to hand quilt one of them. I discovered that the seam to one of the blocks is coming apart. Tried to sew it back together by hand but it kept fraying. Put my problem on the QB. I have all the things that I need to fix it, but I'm scared to pick it up. :-( I don't want to ruin it. Every time I look at it my mind goes crazy. What do I do? :?:

I'd applique something large enough to cover if only 1 or 2 places.

If it's a problem in more than a couple of seams, I'd cut a shape to cover in identical fabric and applique them on at every needed spot.

karendenice 06-06-2010 09:14 AM

Already decided that I couldn't applique something on it. It would disfigure the quilt. The seam is only about an inch long and I tried to sew it together but it kept fraying. So after talking with the QB they suggested that I use fray check and the fusible material. But if I put the fray check on first will I be able to rip out the seam a little more and put the fusible stuff under it or should I rip the seam out first?

karendenice 06-06-2010 10:30 AM

Sorry I sounded abrupt. didn't mean to. Just frustrated. I do listen to all the suggestions and really do appreciate them. Sorry again gollytwo. :-(

Scissor Queen 06-06-2010 10:38 AM

You shouldn't need to use both fray check and a fusible.