Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help with Insulated Table Runners (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-insulated-table-runners-t304632.html)

psquared52 05-10-2019 04:56 AM

Help with Insulated Table Runners

I want to make a table runner which is quilted and insulated so I can put hot casserole dishes,etc on the table without ruining the table. I’ve tried using cotton and insulbrite which works well until I wash it. Is there any product out there that will hold its shape, protect my table and can be quilted?

Rhonda K 05-10-2019 05:19 AM

What happens when you wash the table runner? Do you pre-wash the fabrics? There are products like s*oft and stable used in bags to make them firm so you might want to contact them directly to inquire.

psquared52 05-10-2019 05:33 AM

I generally do not wash my fabrics prior to sewing. When I wash the table runner, it loses its body and is soft like a quilt. I wash but do not dry so it does scrunch up a bit (which is fine with me). I’d like a finished product that has more body/stiffness to it...as well as an heat insulating factor. And I’d prefer not to have a huge number of layers to sew thru!

Watson 05-10-2019 05:37 AM

What about something like Bosal? It gives body and light stiffness to the item but is washable.

Watson

psquared52 05-10-2019 05:41 AM

Have you found a Bosal product that also has insulbrite qualities? Haven’t tried Bosal yet...would it be too thick if I just added a layer of insulbrite?

psquared52 05-10-2019 05:43 AM

Machine quilting!

Watson 05-10-2019 05:46 AM

psquared...I've never used insulbrite so I can't say. Bosal isn't that thick, to my mind. You'd have to give it a test run. Only about 1/8" thick.

Editted to add they have a thing called Thermafoam for hot and cold stuff...might look into that.

Watson

psquared52 05-10-2019 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by Watson (Post 8251347)
psquared...I've never used insulbrite so I can't say. Bosal isn't that thick, to my mind. You'd have to give it a test run. Only about 1/8" thick.

Editted to add they have a thing called Thermafoam for hot and cold stuff...might look into that.

Watson

Thank you!

MaryMo 05-10-2019 06:13 AM

I make placements and mug rugs with double or triple layer of batting for just this purpose. They protect my table, are easy to wash and wear well. I use a cotton batting but wool or bamboo may work as well but I do avoid most polyester battings because of the heat factor. Sometimes I have to cut my binding wider than normal to accommodate the thickness but it all works out well.

Onebyone 05-10-2019 07:43 AM

I use the heat resistant silver fabric for the backings of tablerunners that are going to be used for hot dishes. It stays smooth after washing. At least the bolt I have of it has lots of body to the fabric. It's years old so I don't know if it is still made the same.